cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2006, 08:36 PM   #11
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue
I've often thought about how much bigger the church might be right now were it not for our history of polygamy. There's no way to know, but it's an interesting question.
You take away the polygamy issue and the "blacks and the priesthood" issue, then allow coffee, and baptism rates would double. :wink:
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 09:57 PM   #12
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Comment number one: Is it possible that the church believes that the most important thing it can do for the salvation of its members and the world is emphasize the importance of the family, irrespective of its previous history?

Comment number two: not too long ago, the doctrine of Jesus Christ as the Lord and Savior was more or less universally acknowledged, if not accepted. Thus, the church emphasized the role of the prophet Joseph Smith, since the more important aspect of the church's doctrine (atonement through Christ) was already fairly well understood-- we just wanted to let the world know how to get access to the atonement. Since then, belief and understanding of the Savior has deteriorated. What direction would you expect the church's teachings to go in?
Old 02-15-2006, 11:01 PM   #13
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American
Comment number one: Is it possible that the church believes that the most important thing it can do for the salvation of its members and the world is emphasize the importance of the family, irrespective of its previous history?

Comment number two: not too long ago, the doctrine of Jesus Christ as the Lord and Savior was more or less universally acknowledged, if not accepted. Thus, the church emphasized the role of the prophet Joseph Smith, since the more important aspect of the church's doctrine (atonement through Christ) was already fairly well understood-- we just wanted to let the world know how to get access to the atonement. Since then, belief and understanding of the Savior has deteriorated. What direction would you expect the church's teachings to go in?
I have no particular problem with deemphasis of JS. I'm just making an observation.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 01:43 AM   #14
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American

I have no particular problem with deemphasis of JS. I'm just making an observation.
Won't argue with that. I agree with it, to an extent, but I see it less as a coverup of embarrasing details of the past, and much more an emphasis on a message that is becoming more and more important.