cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2008, 05:05 AM   #21
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
Isn't X96 the former KJQ? If I remember correctly they simply changed their name when shifting frequencies from 93.3 to 96.1, keeping the same format and all of their DJs. The Morning From Hell show has had some hilarious moments.
Yes, that's the one. Soon after X96 came to be, a lot of the DJs bolted to start The End.

When I say that it has gone to hell, I mean it stopped playing the music I like.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 05:07 AM   #22
FMCoug

FMCoug

Hard to remember for sure but I think the Knack album with My Sharona on it was the first one I got.
Old 10-15-2008, 05:10 AM   #23
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
Hard to remember for sure but I think the Knack album with My Sharona on it was the first one I got.
Debut was called Get The Knack. Had all band members on the cover. Think it was black and white.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 05:10 AM   #24
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I would have guessed that your first record was "Mr. Watson, Come Here. I need you"
Actually, that was the first message on my answering machine, although why Mr. Bell kept calling me Watson eludes me.

But as long as you're committing elder abuse, let me fan the flames by noting that I had records as a child that were 78s. Sleepy Town Train and The Legend of Davy Crockett (the listening experience was enhanced by wearing a coonskin cap) were an integral part of my home entertainment regimen.
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 05:13 AM   #25
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
Isn't X96 the former KJQ? If I remember correctly they simply changed their name when shifting frequencies from 93.3 to 96.1, keeping the same format and all of their DJs. The Morning From Hell show has had some hilarious moments.
It did wind up becoming x96, but it really was never the same. Not sure if it was a new programming director. I know some of the DJs changed. Those things have a great impact on the tone of the station. The format changed slightly from truly alt 80s to more "mainstream alternative." While KJQ was dedicated to breaking new bands into the Utah market, x96 simply became focused on playing "Just Like Heaven" and "Enjoy the Silence" over and over. the format shift coincided with the unfortunate fact that bands like The Cure, Depeche Mode, REM, etc were now full fledged arena bands and no longer "alternative," so perhaps some of the demise was timing.

But it was never as good. And 107.5 The End was an abomination.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 10-15-2008, 05:19 AM   #26
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
Actually, that was the first message on my answering machine, although why Mr. Bell kept calling me Watson eludes me.

But as long as you're committing elder abuse, let me fan the flames by noting that I had records as a child that were 78s. Sleepy Town Train and The Legend of Davy Crockett (the listening experience was enhanced by wearing a coonskin cap) were an integral part of my home entertainment regimen.
I had some 78s as a kid. My grandmother will still refer to her old "hi-fi" that played records.

I just posted something here on CG recently that was basically a random aside about those plastic inserts that you had to put into the record hole so that the record would fit on the turntable spindle.

One of my fondest memories of being really little was sitting alone in my room on the floor listening to these Disney Read Along record/book combos that my mom bought for us....all the classics...Dumbo, Pinocchio, Snow White, Mr Toad, etc.....you would pop the record onto the player and read along. And they all started with the same message..."You will know it is time to turn the page when Tinkerbell rings her little bell, like this *chime sound*"

This really is making think of my 70s childhood.

perhaps you and I should discuss this further over some tacos and a nice cold bottle of Reunite on ice.

Old 10-15-2008, 05:28 AM   #27
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I had some 78s as a kid. My grandmother will still refer to her old "hi-fi" that played records.

I just posted something here on CG recently that was basically a random aside about those plastic inserts that you had to put into the record hole so that the record would fit on the turntable spindle.

One of my fondest memories of being really little was sitting alone in my room on the floor listening to these Disney Read Along record/book combos that my mom bought for us....all the classics...Dumbo, Pinocchio, Snow White, Mr Toad, etc.....you would pop the record onto the player and read along. And they all started with the same message..."You will know it is time to turn the page when Tinkerbell rings her little bell, like this *chime sound*"

This really is making think of my 70s childhood.

perhaps you and I should discuss this further over some tacos and a nice cold bottle of Reunite on ice.

From the way you present yourself here, I figured you more of a Colt 45 guy:

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 05:34 AM   #28
PaloAltoCougar

Quote:

That would be totally bitchin'. And I stand in awe of your clever use of a video that bears the same name as one performed by a group that was named after you. Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you Reunite on Ice by Blood on the Wall.

P.S. Notwithstanding the foregoing, here's to good friends, the night is kind of special, the beer we'll pour, must say something more somehow, so tonight, let it be Lowenbrau.

Last edited by PaloAltoCougar; 10-15-2008 at 05:37 AM.
Old 10-15-2008, 05:39 AM   #29
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
Not to mention gathering around the radio as the whole family enjoyed the wacky antics of George Burns and Gracie Allen, or sitting on the edge of your chair in Suspense.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 05:45 AM   #30
PaloAltoCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner Coug View Post
Not to mention gathering around the radio as the whole family enjoyed the wacky antics of George Burns and Gracie Allen, or sitting on the edge of your chair in Suspense.
I was more of a Fibber Magee and Molly fan, and don't get me started or I'll regale all of you with replays of The Shadow. I've got go dry my nostalgic tears...