cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2005, 06:33 PM   #1
Parrot Head

Parrot Head is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My potpourri of movies during the past week

... or so. My wife and I ended up watching four movies over the past week -- rentals and one on TV, not in the theater -- and they were all over the place.

First, "The Untouchables" was on AMC and I had never seen it. Well, I had this impression going in that it was one of those great movies like Scarface, Braveheart or Gladiator. Don't ask me where I got that from. Coming out, I think if they remade it today, it could be really cool. Was it just the mid-80s or was it Brian DePalma or what, because it had a cheese factor many times. Between the music and the bad stage scenery and the lines, at times we were laughing. Again, it could be good. It also answered a question for us. We had wondered whether "Waterworld" was the start of the end for Kevin Costner and if he wasn't able to act after that. The Answer: Kevin Costner has never been able to act. Stiff, emotionless. Maybe he was blessed with skills momentarily for "Field of Dreams" or maybe my memory is jaded, but I might not watch FoD again for a long time just so that good memory isn't harmed.

Finally saw "Batman Begins" and enjoyed that quite a bit even though the newborn woke up every 15 minutes. I really liked the dark feel of it, but the whole Katie Holmes/Tom Cruise thing kinda ruined that aspect. Good movie though.

Also watched "Bride and Prejudice." It was my first Bollywood experience and it was entertaining. My wife and her family are big fans of Pride and Prejudice so we had to watch this Indian take on the story. It also has Sayid from Lost as one of the main guys. If you know the P&P story and don't feel too emasculated for watching and understanding it, this might be worth a shot. Lots of singing and some funny characters. It's a nice delve into Indian cinema.

The last movie on the list was "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind." Mike referenced this in another thread yesterday. It's Jim Carrey and Kate Winslett in an indie flick about a procedure to permanently erase specific memories. ie, the lovers are trying to forget each other. If you like indie stuff, this is right up your alley. It's kind of "Being John Malkovich."

We don't normally rent this often but we've got a free Netflix trial right now. If you want it all you have to do is sign up and enter a code. It's either Friend63 or Friends63. I'll update this tomorrow when we get a new movie.
Parrot Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 06:58 PM   #2
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road
Default Re: My potpourri of movies during the past week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot Head
We don't normally rent this often but we've got a free Netflix trial right now. If you want it all you have to do is sign up and enter a code. It's either Friend63 or Friends63. I'll update this tomorrow when we get a new movie.
We do the Blockbuster version of Netflix.

I find myself watching way more movies than I used to and probably ought to. Its my way of justifying the expensive for the convenience.

Added bonus - now I don't have to show my face in public when I want to rent an old show tune or musical.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 07:33 PM   #3
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind is one of my favorite movies. Great story line in the movie and very well made as well. It also helps that Kate Winslet is incredibly good looking in that movie even with blue hair.

As for Batman Begins that is also a great movie. I have had Katie Holmes ruined by the whole Tom Cruise thing. It is a taint on her that I cannot ignore. Of course even worse than the Tom Cruise taint though is the Scientology taint.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 08:11 PM   #4
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmm....so I just signed up for Netflix. Looks like a reasonable rate. I put Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind at the top of my queue.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote