cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2006, 03:36 AM   #11
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Why speculate on the reason Miller chose to yank the movie?

He never gave a reason for doing so and to proclaim that we all know the reason is nothing but speculation.

That Miller decided he didn't want the movie shown in his theater has no bearing on me at all, nor should it on anyone else, as there are other places one can go to see it.

I've made the decision that I won't see the movie, as there is nothing in it that piques my interest. Besides, I doubt there are enough scenes of stuff exploding, which we all know is what makes a movie good.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 04:07 AM   #12
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't have a problem saying gay sex is worse than illicit heterosexual sex. Not saying the latter is good, unless it's real good (okay a joke), but to me, one is simply a failure to reign in one's natural tendencies, whereas the former is a bastardization of proper uses of the privilege.

Nonetheless, I don't know whether LHM cares about the woman you referred to, as she is not known to me, or whether some stake president made a comment such as "Larry you're not going to show that are you?"

"Oh of course not."

Or, market research showed it wouldn't make money at that location based on rental fees. What if that were his justification? If he wasn't going to make the license fees, he shouldn't have to show it.
Old 01-11-2006, 05:12 AM   #13
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea
I don't have a problem saying gay sex is worse than illicit heterosexual sex. Not saying the latter is good, unless it's real good (okay a joke), but to me, one is simply a failure to reign in one's natural tendencies, whereas the former is a bastardization of proper uses of the privilege.
First of all, bravo for stepping up to the plate. Care to give any doctrinal evidence for your conclusion? I am guessing this is your opinion since I have never heard of such a distinction.

So it boils down to controlling a "natural" urge vs. an "unnatural" urge? Non-celibate gays are guilty of a greater sin than your garden-variety adulterer since it is "unnatural".

Well, I respect your opinion, but I'm not buying it.

Quote:
Nonetheless, I don't know whether LHM cares about the woman you referred to, as she is not known to me
Oh, trust me. If you knew Gayle R. you would understand what I am talking about. She is a real legend. Pardon me for the presumption.

Quote:
, or whether some stake president made a comment such as "Larry you're not going to show that are you?"

"Oh of course not."
I find that extremely unlikely.

Quote:
Or, market research showed it wouldn't make money at that location based on rental fees. What if that were his justification? If he wasn't going to make the license fees, he shouldn't have to show it.
I find this extremely unlikely as well. In fact, I find it borderline ludicrous. Given all of the hype and the oscar buzz, I guarantee you he would have covered his license fees. Especially compared to all of the other schlock that goes through the theaters. In fact, it appears he is going to pay a penalty to the distributor for backing out of his contract. Furthermore, SLC is not nearly as homogenous as you think.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 12:15 PM   #14
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Question on Larry H. Miller Decision

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeboy
In other words, regardless of which side you stand on in this debate, don't you think it is a bit absurd to claim he should not be open to criticism?
Yes.

There, that was quite simple.

In the past Larry Miller has shown ample evidence of fairly arbitrary, seemingly inconsistant decision-making. On the surface, this appears to be another example. I'm much the same way on a much smaller scale as a father.

Anyway, Miller kept the Jazz in Utah, so I am quite forgiving.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 06:06 PM   #15
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Isn't this the hypothetical strawman type of argument that you've told me in posts on Cougarboard that you claim to be weak kind of arguments and furthermore since they are strawman aren't in need of further explanations?

Larry can be open to criticism just as I or anyone else for that matter. I have no problem with Larry doing what he's doing.

I think both sides of the issue for what it's worth are making in reality a big deal about nothing. Actually, now that I think about it, I haven't read anything from Larry H Miller on the topic out there, and if I'm wrong, then someone please post a link, but it seems to be the groups screaming at him are the ones making a big deal out of essentially well...nothing.

I can see it now,,,if Brokeback is snubbed by the Academy Voters the wailing and gnashing of teeth will be nothing compared to this LHM topic.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 07:55 PM   #16
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Default Re: Question on Larry H. Miller Decision

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah
Anyway, Miller kept the Jazz in Utah, so I am quite forgiving.
Amen to that, brother.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:00 PM   #17
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa
Isn't this the hypothetical strawman type of argument that you've told me in posts on Cougarboard that you claim to be weak kind of arguments and furthermore since they are strawman aren't in need of further explanations?
Except for the fact that this doesn't meet the definition of a straw man. See explanation above.

Quote:
Larry can be open to criticism just as I or anyone else for that matter.
Well, it appears we agree on something.

Quote:
I have no problem with Larry doing what he's doing.
No surprise there. In fact, I would have bet the farm that you would feel that way.

Quote:
I think both sides of the issue for what it's worth are making in reality a big deal about nothing.
Perhaps. But it is fun to debate it anyway.
Old 01-12-2006, 12:19 AM   #18
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

I am actually a fan of Larry Miller for what he has done for the sports scene in Utah and for the entertainment he has brought to the state.

But, this bothers me. It bothers me because it appears that he randomly picked this movie out and decided what is appropriate for the viewing audience. Yes it has been discussed...but what makes this movie different from other R-rated movies. Is the violence portrayed in the Matrix, Saving Private Ryan or other violent movies more saintful than a homosexual relationship. It bothers me that he let this movie get all the way to about an hour before playtime before pulling it.

If Miller and his movie chain want to be my moral compass, then they should do the easy thing and ban all R-rated movies and some PG-13 movies and have this a 'family' friendly movie theater where only family type movies are shown. So, yes it bothers me. Change your movie theater policy if this is going to continue.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 12:27 AM   #19
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Everybody jumping on LHM do so because they believe they personally know his motives.

I've never met the man, and a few actions in public are insufficient to convey a person's motives.

You may suspect his motives but you don't know them.

Heck his wife could have told him she didn't want it playing. If my wife told me that, it wouldn't play.

I seriously doubt he would have made up the money he would have lost had he shown the film. It's a financial, not moral decision. With most businessmen as wealthy as Larry, it usually is.
Old 01-12-2006, 01:26 AM   #20
Alkili

Alkili is an unknown quantity at this point

Is everyone so sure that this was even LHM decision? I think it is funny everyone jumping to conclusions that they know less then nothing about.