cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2005, 09:38 PM   #1
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best shows on television right now...

Just curious as to how you would all rank the top 5 shows on television. Here is my list:

1. Arrested Development--funniest comedy in the past 5 years.
2. Lost--yeah, we want answers faster, but it is still a thrill.
3. Veronica Mars--you probably have not seen it because it is on the WB, but it is truly a smart, entertaining show. If you were a fan of the Buffy-style type of writing, you will dig this show.
4. Earl--Some all time great lines...Jason Lee thrives in this show and Jaime Pressley is perfect as the mean spirited and funny ex.
5. The Office--uncomfortable all the time and very funn.

Others receiving votes:
Threshold--has some seriously spooky scenes and Carla Giaguni (sic) is terrific.
Scrubs--on hiatus for a while.
House--just for his one liners, this show is entertaining.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 09:43 PM   #2
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

I like Without a Trace and Criminal Minds. I think the only reason I like Criminal Minds is because of Mandy Patinkin. I watch anything he's in.
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 10:36 PM   #3
Parrot Head

Parrot Head is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm starting to think UteStar might be my long-lost brother -- except for that WB reference. Are you a 15-year old, inner-city girl? What happened on "Moesha" last week? :wink:

I hate trying to rank things like this because it depends on the day, but I'd have to switch Lost and A.D. just because Lost is such a thrill ride. Then again, I can watch Arrested Development over and over and over. We actually have 8 episodes of it saved up on TiVo right now. I love 'Motherboy XXX' and any episodes with the chicken dances.

I think my top three ranking would be sort of an equally potent triumverate of Lost, Arrested Development and Scrubs. (Sidenote: NBC must be run by complete and utter morons to have not picked up Scrubs for the Fall coming off that Emmy smackdown.) Earl took a few weeks to grow on me because I hate that ex-wife so much, but I've finally come to terms with her nature and accept that she will be the bur in my foot. It falls behind Office, though, for me. (Sidenote #2: What a great theme song the Office has!) Then I have to throw Amazing Race in there. It's on a little bit of a lull this year with the family edition, but it's still very entertaining and compelling.

Coming on strong... The Colbert Report. It's a spinoff of Daily Show on Comedy Central and I'm liking that more than Jon Stewart's show. It is topical but it comes off as great humor and if you have ever seen O'Reilly, Anderson Cooper or any other show like that, you quickly recognize what they're making fun off. For some good humor, go to the Comedy Central website and look under the show's video clips for the segmen, "The Word." Prepare to laugh.
Parrot Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 12:13 AM   #4
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

There is not enough shows that I watch to list 5 shows.

1. Arressted Development: I'm not sure that a show has done a better job building on running jokes than this show. It also gets what it takes to make a show with a bunch of wacky characters work. You absolutely have to have a good straight man at the center who is fairly normal. The Michael Bluth character is almost as good of a character for this as Dave Foley on Newsradio
2. The OC: To honest the show is a crappy show, but it knows what it is and makes jokes about itself which I enjoy. Also I'm a lonely loser so I very much enjoy looking at the attractive females on the show, especially the lovely Ms. Rachel Bilson.
3. Cheap Seats: it is like MST3K for sports clips. The sketches are generally not that funny but the comments on the stuff they are watching are very funny.

Those are actually the only shows that I watch on TV right now. I keep hearing everyone talk about the NBC shows but I'm not going to watch them. I still have a hatred for that network for the cancelling of Newsradio and Homicide on the same day.

A couple of shows to mention. The Adam Carolla Project. I only watched one episode of this show sand it was hilarious. Unfortunately it is either on at a time when I'm never home or it was cancelled not sure which. The show Stella had a short and very hilarious run. I now despise Comedy Central for cancelling this show and still keeping all the crap that is on the network.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 01:57 AM   #5
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

My list:

1) Arrested Development- I just heard that production has been suspended. If true it would be a testament to the American public's inability to recognize good television.

2) Lost. Best drama on TV.

3) The Office

4) My name is Earl

5) The Daily Show with John Stewart (I also had high hopes for the Colbert Report, but so far I've been disappointed).
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 05:16 PM   #6
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

Parrot Head--Stop it. I too love the John Stewart show and the Colbert Report. I don't watch either one of them all the time, but if I just got in to bed, I will definately tune it in. The theme song and video montage of the Office is perfect...it captures the original british version Office nicely as well--the drab life of cubicles and copiers, etc.

I have not watched a minute of the Amazing Race this year because I hated the idea of the Family teams...but that is a fantastic show normally and it is the best reality show on tv by far.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 10:38 PM   #7
Parrot Head

Parrot Head is an unknown quantity at this point

I forgot to throw out my recommendation for "Prison Break." It's got a slightly intellectual twist to it, along with the mandatory government conspiracy plot. I like that it should end in one season since the guy's about to get the chair and it's the only thing I watch without my wife other than PTI. I like seeing some decent no-name actors in there too.
Parrot Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 01:50 AM   #8
realtall

realtall is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to realtall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot Head
I forgot to throw out my recommendation for "Prison Break." It's got a slightly intellectual twist to it, along with the mandatory government conspiracy plot. I like that it should end in one season since the guy's about to get the chair and it's the only thing I watch without my wife other than PTI. I like seeing some decent no-name actors in there too.

I'll second that. A very entertaining and well done show. Very captivating.
realtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 11:56 PM   #9
FMCoug

FMCoug

List of shows I like and try to watch:

Sitcoms:
My Name Is Earl
How I Met Your Mother
Two and a Half Men
Still Standing
Out of Practice
King of Queens

Dramas:
Cold Case
Without a Trace
CSI (all versions)
NCIS
Surface
Threshold
Commander In Chief
Criminal Minds
Las Vegas
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 12:16 AM   #10
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug
List of shows I like and try to watch:

Sitcoms:
My Name Is Earl
How I Met Your Mother
Two and a Half Men
Still Standing
Out of Practice
King of Queens

Dramas:
Cold Case
Without a Trace
CSI (all versions)
NCIS
Surface
Threshold
Commander In Chief
Criminal Minds
Las Vegas

Are you serious? That's 15 hours of television a week. Not including sports, which adds several hours per week for most of us, depending on the season.

I'm guesssing not married and/or no kids? And if you are married, you, my friend, have the best wife in the world!!!

P.S. Where's "Lost" on your list? Best drama on tv right now.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote