cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2005, 05:17 AM   #1
realtall

realtall is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to realtall
Default Our Stake is performing Handel's 'Messiah' Sunday Night

What a great piece of music! I never really appreciated it before but performing with the orchestra has been a great experience(and I wasn't as rusty as I thought that I was going to be) so far. Performing a piece really makes you listen to it.

Most people recognize the Hallelujah Chorus but how can you listen to 'Glory to God' and not feel good?

No 2nd violin yet...I hope that they get someone because that part is very important. Also the trumpets, apparently, are only coming to the dress rehearsal and the performance :x . The trumpets need to be there for ALL the rehearsals for both the orchestra/choir and themselves. Trumpets are such prima donnas.

Anyhow, the music is really good stuff. I'm really looking forward to the performance.[/i]
realtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 05:22 AM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

the youth in our stake did a few choral numbers.

well, the geniuses set up a microphone next to the violins for their duet.

But once the violins left, the mic was still there. And some dude, whose voice was nothing special, was singing into the mic, drowning out the other voices.

It was awful.

but i'm sure those kids had a nice experience.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 06:09 AM   #3
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

My mom always told me when I was a kid that she felt Handel's Messiah was an inspired work. It's always been one of my favorites. I actually chose that concert as our date prior to popping the question. So it's even more of a favorite now.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 10:11 AM   #4
realtall

realtall is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to realtall

Well, the Messiah went pretty well. The choir was pretty good and the orchestra held together pretty well although the strings were always a bit of an adventure to listen to. Mostly kids. Almost all of the winds either had a music degree or were working on one. But things did go well.

One problem; apparently between the dress rehearsal Saturday morning and the performance Sunday night someone decided to jack up the choir's mikes a couple of notches. I talk to a couple of people who said that they had a hard time hearing the orchestra(if you can believe that). A friend said that the little kids in the back were covering their ears. Cats were screeching and dogs were howling. Ok, I made that last part up. Anyhow, it was hard to tell all this from the performers perspective. My wife said that she couldn't really hear my (trombone) part from seven rows back. That kind of disappointed me.

Nevertheless, the performance itself went well; I enjoyed myself, and the audience seemed to really like it. Its fun to perform and it wasn't as hard to get back into shape as I thought that it would be.
realtall is offline   Reply With Quote