cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2006, 03:48 AM   #1
realtall

realtall is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to realtall
Default Grizzly Man

We saw this one on dvd last night(its more of a party then then what we usually do for New Year's Eve(which is nothing)).

It tells the story of Timothy Treadwell, a man who lived among grizzly bears in Alaska for 13 summers. While he was there he shot over a hundred hours of film of himself with the bears, as he fancied himself a filmmaker. The film makes up the bulk of this movie. Interviews with family, friends, & associates are mixed in. He was also quite disturbed. The footage shows him touching & petting the bears not to mention talking to them at length.

As you can probably guess, this doesn't end well.

Timothy and his girlfriend, Amie, are both eaten by the same bear in 2003. The movie includes footage right up until a few hours before his death. Also interesting is that several references are made to the fact that the camera was actually going when the pair died. The lens cap was still on the camera, though, so just the audio was recorded. It is not included in the movie, probably out of respect for the deceased. It was not explained how the camera managed to get turned on just in time for the big event but Treadwell was looney for the bears so who knows.

The movie talks about Treadwell's & Amie's demise throughout so I don't feel like I'm spoiling the ending for you.

I recommend this movie. It held my attention quite well and was an interesting look into the persona of this man. Well worth a rental.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0427312/
realtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 04:24 PM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

I haven't seen the film, but their death is proof that while humans recognize animals as part of the overall environment of the planet, wild animals - specifically those of the predator type - only recognize humans as food.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 04:26 PM   #3
fuegote

fuegote

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute
I haven't seen the film, but their death is proof that while humans recognize animals as part of the overall environment of the planet, wild animals - specifically those of the predator type - only recognize humans as food.
If there was karma here, I'ld give you 150...that's just funny.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:31 AM   #4
Nobody Special

Nobody Special

I saw a couple of things on the Discovery Channel about the loon. He said that it would be an honor to end up as bear scat. Well, I guess he could assume himself honored. Too bad, he didn't make it to scatt though, they killed the bear shortly after it ate him.

And, from what my family in Alaska said about the guy the whole thing was recorded, this is the first I have heard about the lens cap being on. But the camera did get tipped over and you could hear the bear going to town on them. Must have been pretty bad.

The next one to get it will be the guy that goes and hangs out with the lions. I saw a documentary called Into The Lions Den the other day on Animal Planet.

This guy would walk up to about twenty feet away from the lions and hang out until they made some sort of aggressive move towards him. He's not as loony as the Grizzly guy though.

Makes you wonder about these folks though.

Go Cougars!
Nobody Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 07:25 AM   #5
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuegote
Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute
If there was karma here, I'ld give you 150...that's just funny.
Yes, very funny.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote