cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2006, 03:14 PM   #21
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Many romantic writers feel compelled to write the proverbial unrequitted love novel, screenplay, ect. This aspect of love, an icon for years in European literature, maybe because the royals were so spoiled they had to think up worries, has always perplexed me.

And after the first two dozen, it's time to go watch a good war flick.

I can appreciate the fact that good writers can write about boring topics. Happens all the time.

So far the argument is, "Hey the writer is good, so the story may hold somebody's interest." Not a completely specious point of view, but gay men humping still turns me off.

And although, I won't avoid a movie with normal sexual innuendo or content, I won't seek it out for it either. On average, I see 50 to 60 movies per year, so I see a lot of junk, but so little is new stuff.

Original stuff, which now has been repeated, was stuff like,

Apocalypse Now
Memento
even Vanilla Sky
Saving Private Ryan
All Quiet of the Eastern Front
The Man Who Knew Too Much

even the Village offered something

Most movies about romance fail to express much, because where that emotion is involved, the writing tends to fall into tired formulae.
Old 01-03-2006, 03:36 PM   #22
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Intellectually please explain it's appeal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea
Is it the Banned-in-Boston syndrome?

Geeze, art critics say its good so we must all agree?

Cowboys partaking of forbidden love? Do we next see a film about a cowboy and his pet sheep?

Will PETA protest or support that one?

Is it taking animal love too far?
Wow, Arch, you are on a roll.

The French see the lack of an overt negative response to the movie as Americans coming to grips (in a positive way) with gay culture in the U.S. After that Bush-election debacle, we are finally making a comeback in their eyes.

That the movie elicits sympathy for the two "pardners'" plight shows how effective a piece of propaganda this can become. Would the same emotions have come from unrequited love between two transsexuals? Two hairdressers? Two Broadway dancers? Or even two computer programmers?

Take two good looking guys, dress 'em up as cowboys, and show beautiful scenes of Wyoming and you can sell just about anything in America. Even cigarettes.

The plan is working.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 05:55 PM   #23
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Next there will be a film about father-daughter incest, which the "critics" will praise because it "beautifully" captures the heart-warming relationship of love and understanding between two of god's children. That and the role of the 14 year old will be played by an 18 year old, so technically the love scenes will be "okay."

With Bea Arthur amongst the many academy award winners as the all-wise grandmother.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 06:15 PM   #24
Archaea

The next heartwarmer will involve Jeffrey Dahmer, how misunderstood he was, or how Armin Meiwes did the right thing.

All you need is a capable writer, sympathetic actors, beautiful landscape and Hollywood will accept anything as artistic.

Imagine how tear wrenching Armin cannibalizing Bernd Jurgen would be.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:26 PM   #25
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea
The next heartwarmer will involve Jeffrey Dahmer, how misunderstood he was, or how Armin Meiwes did the right thing.

All you need is a capable writer, sympathetic actors, beautiful landscape and Hollywood will accept anything as artistic.

Imagine how tear wrenching Armin cannibalizing Bernd Jurgen would be.
arch, stop buddy...

intellectually the movie poses many valid questions.

how does one reconcile sexual, intimate feelings for a man and live a life one is suppose to live?

how important are our sexual feelings and behaviors as they pertain to our normal lives we live?

are sexual feelings exclusive to the physical needs we possess, or do they extend to the emotional as well?

how important is it be to be true to our feelings?

how does one in love avoid the pitfalls of self destructive behavior?

the movie causes reflection on all of these questions. questions which i find important to both hetero and homosexual relations.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 06:27 PM   #26
fuegote

fuegote

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever
Next there will be a film about father-daughter incest, which the "critics" will praise because it "beautifully" captures the heart-warming relationship of love and understanding between two of god's children. That and the role of the 14 year old will be played by an 18 year old, so technically the love scenes will be "okay."

With Bea Arthur amongst the many academy award winners as the all-wise grandmother.
didn't "Birth" come out last year?
the incest part was wrong, but there was a "near scene" with Kidman and this kid in Birth.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:28 PM   #27
Archaea

Oops, they did make a movie about Meiwes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armin_Meiwes
Old 01-03-2006, 06:55 PM   #28
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

And I guess American Beauty was quite similar to my hypothetical.....and it cleaned house at the Oscars.

We need to have compassion on all of the baby boomers who fall for their daughters' cheerleader friends.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 07:08 PM   #29
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11

arch, stop buddy...

how does one reconcile sexual, intimate feelings for a man and live a life one is suppose to live?

how important are our sexual feelings and behaviors as they pertain to our normal lives we live?

are sexual feelings exclusive to the physical needs we possess, or do they extend to the emotional as well?

how does one in love avoid the pitfalls of self destructive behavior?

the movie causes reflection on all of these questions. questions which i find important to both hetero and homosexual relations.
So in other words, it's a touchy, feely flick with not much intellectualism. None of those question are deep, thought-provoking queries.

I can understand why it doesn't interest me. And using something alien, and revolting, isn't a way to draw the mainstream in.

Bottom line is: it's about two cowboys humping, feeling conflicted about humping instead of feeling good cuz they could have humped some gals. Geeze, a conscience is such a horrible thing to waste.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:21 PM   #30
Archaea

[quote="fusnik11"]

This one cracks me up. It really caught fire in the sixties. Translated, "If it feels good, do it."

Hollywood's answer, "ignore social responsibility, responsibility to family or pine away like some wallflower."

How about change your stinkin feelings?! Are we masters of our emotions, or do we remain slaves to them?