cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2008, 08:15 PM   #31
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
If you have poor mental health it's most likely the result of unresovled sins.
You never miss a chance to take a swipe at Utah.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 08:17 PM   #32
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
You never miss a chance to take a swipe at Utah.
Sorry. I was just imitating exUte.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 08:17 PM   #33
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by exUte View Post
it may answer your inquiry. My guess is that 75% of them are ute grads. They don't know if they are coming or going and that would be very depressing.
Ex, you're just plain not smart enough to engage in this gadfly role you seem to have undertaken lately. Stick to the things you are qualified to do. Peel a potato for example.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:21 PM   #34
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Said in jest, but it's crazy how often this sort of thing is said seriously. If you haven't received a spiritual witness, it's because you're not trying hard/righteous enough; if you aren't happy it's because you don't have the spirit and/or aren't living the gospel enough. When so much of our missionary efforts involve getting people to try living the gospel so they can see how happy it makes them, there is great pressure on those who are already members to be happy.

I hope those ideas are beginning to change, and most in this forum seem to have gotten past such silliness, but it really can be quite damaging to live in a culture that believes those things.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 08:39 PM   #35
myboynoah

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiteRider View Post
How do I fail as a father? By failing to provide? If my kids don't have shoes, my Bishop might ask me some questions. If my kids aren't emotionally well adjusted, that burden traditionally falls to the mother. Shoes vs emotional well being. I'll accept my burden with gratitude.
You honestly only see your role as provider. That last leadership training video (Oaks, Holland and three ladies) went out if its way to stress that men are just not providers (as if I needed to be told that) and needed to help their wives in nurturing.

I kept waiting for them the say that wives needed to help their husbands in providing, but it didn't come. Maybe that comes in part two.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:41 PM   #36
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiteRider View Post
Most active women will serve in one of the high-stress callings at one point or another, as is the case with most active men. I would also generalize from watching my wife and knowing myself, that most women take their visiting teaching more seriously than most men take their home teaching. One thing that we decided after discussing this for a bit was that it was apples and oranges. The differences between male and female expectations in the church are big enough that I'm not sure we can really understand the stresses we face respectively. One thing I knew for certain though, if I kept on pressing the point, I was going to find myself in the dog house.

But I really did find her argument convincing. One difference between the stress of men and women in the church is that much of the social expectation piled on women has everything to do with the core of who and what they are. They are women, and mothers and wives. What is more important than that? If I fail in my little calling at church, I know I will get called to something else, and I will try again. If my wife fails at being a woman, wife or mother, she has failed to the very core of who she is, and how she thinks God sees her. How do I fail as a father? By failing to provide? If my kids don't have shoes, my Bishop might ask me some questions. If my kids aren't emotionally well adjusted, that burden traditionally falls to the mother. Shoes vs emotional well being. I'll accept my burden with gratitude.
There is a difference between "doing" and "leading". Women by a vast margin are not given the opportunity to lead in the church. Therefore the pressure is much less.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 08:46 PM   #37
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
My poor mental health has to do with a sin I passed up on. I haven't been able to resolve the fact I passed up on it.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 08:46 PM   #38
K-dog

K-dog is on a distinguished road

Are there any studies correlating religious populations with mental illness? I would expect there to be higher rates of mental illness in all religious populations.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
K-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 08:49 PM   #39
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-dog View Post
Are there any studies correlating religious populations with mental illness? I would expect there to be higher rates of mental illness in all religious populations.
Would you consider suicide bombers as a mental health issue. Would you consider the people at Jonestown, Waco and the folks that were going to meet a Spaceship as religious people.

On the other side I wouldn't consider Ted Bundy, Hitler and Stalin as religious people. It is a good question though as far as tendencies go.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 08:49 PM   #40
myboynoah

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-dog View Post
I would expect there to be higher rates of mental illness in all religious populations.
"MEGA DITTOS!!!"

Seattle Ute