cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2008, 03:55 AM   #31
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
That's not true and you know it. That's just stupid logic. If a terrorist organization tried to take over France, they would fight with everything they had, and they would get help from a bunch of other countries, including us. That is how it's supposed to work, and that's how the US became independent to start with: by fighting and asking for help. That the US gets bored waiting for something like that to happen and decides to invade countries without the ability or inclination to attack us is where we go wrong.
And, lest we forget, the main country that gave the US help in our struggle for independence was... France.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:56 AM   #32
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
They produce more research per capita, they don't bomb and occupy other countries, they don't torture people, they don't keep their people in constant fear of terrorism, their people are much healthier and live longer, etc.

I won't ever argue that our experiment in capitalism is not an outrageous success in economic terms, but there are other costs, and the current furor in response to 9/11 has done much to reduce our position in the world.
All that research and so few Nobel Prizes.

Ivory Coast.

Ever been a young muslim in French police custody?

I don't sense any more angst here about terrorism than I did in France.

Yes, you are correct, a lot more fat people here in the U.S. But our smoking laws are light years ahead. U.S. patient healthcare far outstrips France, unless of course one is able and willing to pay.

They also have a greater variety of cheese and yogurt.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:58 AM   #33
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
That's not true and you know it. That's just stupid logic. If a terrorist organization tried to take over France, they would fight with everything they had, and they would get help from a bunch of other countries, including us. That is how it's supposed to work, and that's how the US became independent to start with: by fighting and asking for help. That the US gets bored waiting for something like that to happen and decides to invade countries without the ability or inclination to attack us in where we go wrong.
I agree that they would get help from us. That's what we do - help countries that can't or won't fight for themselves.

Everybody wants the US to be their guard dog, but they bitch about how the US does it rather than saying "Go home and let us do the dirty work."

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:58 AM   #34
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
How does healthcare not fall under "protection"?
Good point. So does housing. Everyone gets a house. Haven't heard that one from Obama, but I am sure it is coming.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:59 AM   #35
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
And, lest we forget, the main country that gave the US help in our struggle for independence was... France.
Yep and we more than returned the favor in two World Wars.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:59 AM   #36
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Seriously. Screw helping people if it costs money. I have seen the light. Money > people in need.
Seriously. Screw whether you can afford to help people in need or not. If you can't, just print more money. Economic feasability is irrelevant. It's about COMPASSION you heartless capitalist pigs!
Old 01-04-2008, 03:59 AM   #37
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
All that research and so few Nobel Prizes.

Ivory Coast.

Ever been a young muslim in French police custody?

I don't sense any more angst here about terrorism than I did in France.

Yes, you are correct, a lot more fat people here in the U.S. But our smoking laws are light years ahead. U.S. patient healthcare far outstrips France, unless of course one is able and willing to pay.

They also have a greater variety of cheese and yogurt.
A giant smoking ban just took effect in France on Jan 1. I forget the details, but it seemed more progressive than what we've got in the US.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 04:00 AM   #38
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
How does healthcare not fall under "protection"?
How?

Protection is military, police and fire.

How does health care fall under protection?

Old 01-04-2008, 04:01 AM   #39
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I agree that they would get help from us. That's what we do - help countries that can't or won't fight for themselves.

Everybody wants the US to be their guard dog, but they bitch about how the US does it rather than saying "Go home and let us do the dirty work."
But that's just it. I don't think anybody minds that the US uses it's power to help others against invaders. The current war is simply not an example of that.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 04:02 AM   #40
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
C'mon Cali, we were a boil on England's ass. France was happy to add more pain.

And they've hated us ever since.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.

Last edited by myboynoah; 01-04-2008 at 04:04 AM.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote