cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2008, 02:24 PM   #31
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
I can see why you want to change the subject on this one.
Serious question. Has living in Memphis dimmed your view of African-Americans?

Because your responses to these threads begs the question.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 02:48 PM   #32
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Uh, yeah, what's wrong with that?

You want to say it is very much about race. I disagreed and laid out my case. I'm waiting for yours.
How am I supposed to argue with "Myboynoah just likes Midwesterners better?" You can like them more all you want. The question is why shouldn't the government help both equally? Being likable certainly isn't a precondition to government assistance.

Quote:
Well, I do, as well as many of my neighbors, so I guess "nobody" is a bit hyperbolic. Since I do, I will not have much sympathy (in terms of financial loss) for those that don't.
Nobody is obviously an exaggeration, but feel free to show me any study that suggests a moderate or high percentage of people in SLC, Memphis or St. Louis have earthquake insurance. If you do, you are certainly the exception to the rule (and I think you know it too).

Quote:
If such an event happened its sounds as if there would be few homes left to be crushed by this wall of water. Let's get real. It is much more likely that another hurricane will hit New Orleans than the type of earthquake you describe hitting SLC. As for the insurance issue, I've stated my case.
Who cares how many homes are crushed by the Great Salt Lake as opposed to the liquifying of the city basin? The point I am making isn't that the Great Salt Lake will crush more homes, it is that the city will be devastated by the earthquake and the Great Salt Lake will finish off what the actual earthquake damage doesn't. This type of earthquake is predicted to hit SLC within the next 30-50 years, according to experts. New Orleans, if history is a guide, won't be hit with a Katrina-like storm for another 150 years or so.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 03:56 PM   #33
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
How am I supposed to argue with "Myboynoah just likes Midwesterners better?" You can like them more all you want. The question is why shouldn't the government help both equally? Being likable certainly isn't a precondition to government assistance.
No, your question was why no criticism for the people in the midwest. I offered some explanations.

Quote:
Nobody is obviously an exaggeration, but feel free to show me any study that suggests a moderate or high percentage of people in SLC, Memphis or St. Louis have earthquake insurance. If you do, you are certainly the exception to the rule (and I think you know it too).

Who cares how many homes are crushed by the Great Salt Lake as opposed to the liquifying of the city basin? The point I am making isn't that the Great Salt Lake will crush more homes, it is that the city will be devastated by the earthquake and the Great Salt Lake will finish off what the actual earthquake damage doesn't. This type of earthquake is predicted to hit SLC within the next 30-50 years, according to experts. New Orleans, if history is a guide, won't be hit with a Katrina-like storm for another 150 years or so.
I don't understand your point? You create imaginary disasters and then want people to show indignation for the people's lack of preparation for these imaginary disasters. I've insured myself. My neighbors that I've talked to have as well. It surprises me that others haven't, even a majority. Should disaster strike, I'll have limited compassion for their financial loss. That's why I think it's folly to rebuild significant housing and such in parts of New Orleans.

But then, perhaps I'm the bigger fool. I think people should be responsible for themselves, and admire those that take efforts to do so.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 03:58 PM   #34
myboynoah

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Serious question. Has living in Memphis dimmed your view of African-Americans?

Because your responses to these threads begs the question.
You really need to start thinking outside the box.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
Old 06-30-2008, 04:00 PM   #35
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
You really need to start thinking outside the box.
It was a thought question. No need to answer.

In America, that's not a polite question I asked, however relevant and important it is.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 04:06 PM   #36
Cali Coug

Quote:
No, your question was why no criticism for the people in the midwest. I offered some explanations.
It was a rhetorical question designed to show the hypocrisy of those who lambasted the people of New Orleans for their lack of preparation. The point is that the government should help both groups.

Quote:
I don't understand your point? You create imaginary disasters and then want people to show indignation for the people's lack of preparation for these imaginary disasters. I've insured myself. My neighbors that I've talked to have as well. It surprises me that others haven't, even a majority. Should disaster strike, I'll have limited compassion for their financial loss. That's why I think it's folly to rebuild significant housing and such in parts of New Orleans.

But then, perhaps I'm the bigger fool. I think people should be responsible for themselves, and admire those that take efforts to do so.
Again, the point is that the government should help all Americans recover from natural disasters. The overwhelming majority of Americans simply cannot afford insurance for catastrophes. If you live in flood plain, you need flood insurance. The flood insurance from the government only covers the basement, though. So you also need private flood insurance that covers the rest of your home. If you are also in an earthquake zone (as in St. Louis and Memphis), you need earthquake insurance too in order to be fully protected. The cost of those three different insurance policies is prohibitive to most Americans, particularly when they also have to have health, auto, home, medical and other forms of insurance. You want to trump how prepared you are and how you don't feel bad for the people who haven't properly insured, but that shows a very clear lack of understanding of the economic situation of most Americans. It is one thing to be prepared to the extent possible (which is admirable and desirable) and another thing to refuse aid to those who weren't able to be as prepared.
Old 06-30-2008, 04:20 PM   #37
myboynoah

Quote:
You want to trump how prepared you are and how you don't feel bad for the people who haven't properly insured, but that shows a very clear lack of understanding of the economic situation of most Americans. It is one thing to be prepared to the extent possible (which is admirable and desirable) and another thing to refuse aid to those who weren't able to be as prepared.
Shut up already with this "clear lack of understanding of the economic situation of most Americans." How can I even take you serious when you use such hyperbolic language? You think I like paying the extra $250 per month (or whatever it is)? You don't think my family couldn't use that to good effect? You know nothing about me and my situation, so enough of the judgement.

I am the fool. I should save my money or go buy a new car or turn up my AC beyond 79 this summer, and wait for Cali's government to come save me when disaster strikes.

I'm also the bigot because I admire people that prepare for disaster and then come together as a community to work hard when it strikes.

You and Mike really need to starting thinking outside your paradigms.

Old 06-30-2008, 04:38 PM   #38
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not sure Cali has a fundamental understanding of the economic situation of most Americans.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 04:50 PM   #39
Cali Coug

Quote:
Shut up already with this "clear lack of understanding of the economic situation of most Americans." How can I even take you serious when you use such hyperbolic language? You think I like paying the extra $250 per month (or whatever it is)? You don't think my family couldn't use that to good effect? You know nothing about me and my situation, so enough of the judgement.

I am the fool. I should save my money or go buy a new car or turn up my AC beyond 79 this summer, and wait for Cali's government to come save me when disaster strikes.

I'm also the bigot because I admire people that prepare for disaster and then come together as a community to work hard when it strikes.

You and Mike really need to starting thinking outside your paradigms.
There is no chance the cost of flood insurance (from the government for one policy and from private insurance for the other) plus earthquake insurance costs you only $250 a month. The fact that you don't even know your own economic cost reinforces my point. Either you earn so much money that it doesn't matter to you or you don't actually have all of the insurance you claim to have.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:03 PM   #40
myboynoah

Quote:
There is no chance the cost of flood insurance (from the government for one policy and from private insurance for the other) plus earthquake insurance costs you only $250 a month. The fact that you don't even know your own economic cost reinforces my point. Either you earn so much money that it doesn't matter to you or you don't actually have all of the insurance you claim to have.
So, break yours out for us. Care to share that with us all, and the rest of those looking in?

My simple plan is to lump it all into my "housing" cost.

Did I underestimate? I'm getting screwed even more than I thought?

Damn.