cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2008, 04:53 AM   #21
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I mosied over to blogrow at National Review. I chuckled as I read Kathryn Jean Lopez--a mental midget akin to Tex.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 04:54 AM   #22
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Obama said this in Berlin:

This is the moment when we must build on the wealth that open markets have created, and share its benefits more equitably. Trade has been a cornerstone of our growth and global development. But we will not be able to sustain this growth if it favors the few, and not the many. Together, we must forge trade that truly rewards the work that creates wealth, with meaningful protections for our people and our planet. This is the moment for trade that is free and fair for all."

This is Marxism in it's purist form. If you disagree, please point out which part isn't Marxist.

It's funny cause I'm actually reading shit like this in Atlas Shrugged right now. Interesting to see the parallels. Ayn Rand was something else.

Here are the problems I personally have with this statement.

I don't want to share wealth equally. I want to keep what I earn and what I'm worth, and let others do the same, be it more or less than me. I want only what I can earn for myself, nothing more and nothing less. And damn anyone to hell who thinks they deserve a piece of what's mine and means to take it from me by theivery or government redistribution.

The comment about "forging trade that truly rewards the work that creates wealth" scares the living shit out of me, and I think most of us here can read this for what it is. The market already does a pretty good job of doing this already, as the work that creates wealth is done by innovators and risk-takers, not unskilled labor. God Bless America for being what it is and has been - a place where creativity and innovation result in wealth and prosperity (among other things) for those that deserve it - NOT everybody. I'm left to wonder if we'll stay this way for much longer.

Last edited by Colly Wolly; 07-26-2008 at 04:57 AM.
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 04:57 AM   #23
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I appreciate my government-backed mortgage, my govt-backed savings account, and my govt-backed education loans.

Among other things.

Govt-backed roads, govt-backed schools are nice as well.
What about free police and firemen?

It would be interesting to arm a policeman with a hidden camera.

Then have him go out on calls. When he finished helping someone at their house (domestic disturbance, prowler, cat in a tree, etc...) the policeman then whips out a credit card swiper and demands payment. If the people cannot pay up, the cop releases the prowler.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 04:58 AM   #24
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colly Wolly View Post
It's funny cause I'm actually reading shit like this in Atlas Shrugged right now. Interesting to see the parallels. Ayn Rand was something else.

Here are the problems I personally have with this statement.

I don't want to share wealth equally. I want to keep what I earn and what I'm worth, and let others do the same, be it more or less than me. I want only what I can earn for myself, nothing more and nothing less. And damn anyone to hell who thinks they deserve a piece of what's mine and means to take it from me by theivery or government redistribution.

The comment about "forging trade that truly rewards the work that creates wealth" scares the living shit out of me, and I think most of us here can read this for what it is. The market already does a pretty good job of doing this already, as the work that creates wealth is done by innovators and risk-takers, not unskilled labor. God Bless America for being what it is and has been - a place where creativity and innovation result in wealth and prosperity (among other things) for those that deserve it - NOT everybody. I'm left to wonder if we'll stay this way for much longer.
Holy S, it is like I just read Satan post on this board.

F everyone, it's all mine, you poor worthless Ss, go die!

Just as you fear for the world, so do I. But for different reasons.

We really do worship different Gods, and if God is really like what you posted, I don't prefer to have his company.

Last edited by MikeWaters; 07-26-2008 at 05:10 AM.
Old 07-26-2008, 05:03 AM   #25
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Agreed.

And McCain appears to have all but given up at this point. Going to a German sausage restaurant on the day Obama speaks in Germany? Really?
When Obama was on the campaign trail vs Hillary, the knock was that he lacked experience.

When he eliminated Hillary, the knock was that he lacked experience.

Now that it is obvious that that card is not work, the biggest gripe seems to simply be that too many people like him. He is too popular.

I liked what I saw of Obama on this trip. It was refreshing to see foreigners waving American flags (not burning them). Despite the flack that he is getting for it, the "tear down the walls" portion of the speech was my favorite part....not for the economic message, but for the admission that we have bungled some things recently and we are not above admitting it. We are not above asking for Europe's trust again.

I think that if you want to increase security domestically, make as many people like you internationally. If all your neighbors dig you, they wont let anybody egg your house while you are away.

Improving foreign relations is something I have always trumpeted as an important priority for the new President. I think Obama can do that nicely.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 07-26-2008, 05:04 AM   #26
Colly Wolly

Quote:
Holy S, it is like I just read Satan post on this board.

F everyone, it's all mine, you poor worthless Ss, go die!

Just as you fear for the world, so do I. But for different reasons.

We really do worship different Gods, and if God is really like what you posted, I don't prefer to have his company.
Is that really how you read my statement, Mr. Toohey? You're further off the deep end than I ever could have imagined. How does "I want what I earn, and let every other man have the same right" equate to "Fuck everyone, it's all mine, you poor worthless shits, go die!"?

Last edited by MikeWaters; 07-26-2008 at 05:10 AM. Reason: edited my own quoted post
Old 07-26-2008, 05:07 AM   #27
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Yeah, but he was cheered by Germans who also cheered for Hitler. What can you say to that? Nothing. Just like I thought.
You need to get over this Hitler thing. Germany has moved on, why can't you?

If you want to badmouth the country that gave us Nena and 99 Luftballons, you go right ahead and enjoy your one-way ticket to nowhere.

Meanwhile, I will listen to my Alphaville records and wish I were eating strudel at the Cafe Freidrichstrasse.

Old 07-26-2008, 05:10 AM   #28
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Is that really how you read my statement, Mr. Toohey? You're further off the deep end than I ever could have imagined. How does "I want what I earn, and let every other man have the same right" equate to "Fuck everyone, it's all mine, you poor worthless shits, go die!"?
Quote:
Pure areligion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To bvisit the cfatherless and dwidows in their eaffliction, and to keep himself funspotted from gthe hworld.
Ironically, the verse before that has some words for me. I need to bridle my tongue.
Old 07-26-2008, 05:12 AM   #29
Colly Wolly

Quote:
Ironically, the verse before that has some words for me. I need to bridle my tongue.
Absolutely, and it is my right to redistribute my earned wealth as I see fit. I will not be compelled. You are the one advocating Satan's plan here dude.
Old 07-26-2008, 05:13 AM   #30
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Absolutely, and it is my right to redistribute my earned wealth as I see fit. I will not be compelled. You are the one advocating Satan's plan here dude.
It's not your wealth. You don't own one penny of it. It is the Lord's money, and your duty is to help others.