cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2008, 05:40 PM   #11
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
McCain is no Goldwater. (Ain't that the truth!) There's no way Obama could win in a landslide. There are probably twenty states that Barack couldn't carry if the Almighty himself came down and endorsed him, my state among them.
We'll see if the parallels develop.

Other than both having white hair, being old men from Arizona with virtually no charisma and almost no chance of winning, they may not resemble one another.

(I actually forget how old Barry was when he ran against LBJ, but I always think of him as being old; at least they named Phoenix's airport after him).
Old 08-18-2008, 05:43 PM   #12
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default Did you see the forum last Saturday........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

Other than both having white hair, being old men from Arizona with virtually no charisma and almost no chance of winning, they may not resemble one another.

(I actually forget how old Barry was when he ran against LBJ, but I always think of him as being old; at least they named Phoenix's airport after him).
clearly, McCain was much better. He didn't skirt the issues like Obama did. The more debates the better for McCain. It will show how inept Obama is. His 'change' BS would be exposed. He hasn't led any change anywhere. Or change that the American populace could go along with.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:51 PM   #13
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by exUte View Post
clearly, McCain was much better. He didn't skirt the issues like Obama did. The more debates the better for McCain. It will show how inept Obama is. His 'change' BS would be exposed. He hasn't led any change anywhere. Or change that the American populace could go along with.
Against my better judgment,

our political system does not have "debates" in the classical sense or what you learned from your forensic team, but really watered-down topical discussions made easy for the attention deficited public.

Obama is a better speaker period. In large crowd settings he'd blow McCain away.

It appears, as aptly noted, Spocklike in some discussions, but more people like Obama's style than McCain.

Take off your Republican glasses and pretend you're a visitor from the UK. McCain would not even receive the time of day in Question Time before Parliament.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:54 PM   #14
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It's just not mathematically possible. If Obama were to really blow it, McCain could win in a landslide perhaps. But Obama could not win in a landslide unless he runs uncontested. Too much rural racism left in many states. He'll lose my state by 35 points no matter what either candidate says in the next ten weeks. McCain could have said on Saturday that he consults Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck for his foreign policy, and they'd roll with it.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 05:57 PM   #15
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
It's just not mathematically possible. If Obama were to really blow it, McCain could win in a landslide perhaps. But Obama could not win in a landslide unless he runs uncontested. Too much rural racism left in many states. He'll lose my state by 35 points no matter what either candidate says in the next ten weeks. McCain could have said on Saturday that he consults Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck for his foreign policy, and they'd roll with it.

Well, the mouse always seemed sort of soft, but Donald knew how to kick some butt, so that's not all bad.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:58 PM   #16
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default People want straight answers.

Quote:
Against my better judgment,

our political system does not have "debates" in the classical sense or what you learned from your forensic team, but really watered-down topical discussions made easy for the attention deficited public.

Obama is a better speaker period. In large crowd settings he'd blow McCain away.

It appears, as aptly noted, Spocklike in some discussions, but more people like Obama's style than McCain.

Take off your Republican glasses and pretend you're a visitor from the UK. McCain would not even receive the time of day in Question Time before Parliament.
In a debate, Obama won't give straight answers. It's really that simple. Obama is good at speech giving. Not so good at answering questions directly. People are tired of politics as usual and want some straight talk.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:02 PM   #17
Archaea

Quote:
In a debate, Obama won't give straight answers. It's really that simple. Obama is good at speech giving. Not so good at answering questions directly. People are tired of politics as usual and want some straight talk.
Did you watch the Warren interview?

McCain answered some of the questions and not others, whereas Obama answered some of the questions he should have dodged.

Debate always involves an aspect of nonanswer.

I will vote against Obama but I predict Obama to win in a landslide, expecting the larger portion of voters to disagree with me.

Obama is very smooth most of the time, but he can be a little too "sophisticated" or distant at times. Which is ironic, because when speech giving he is said to connect with his audience yet in debates, he waxes too professorial.

I'd still bet on him rather than against him.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:02 PM   #18
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Donald knew how to kick some butt, so that's not all bad.
True, I guess. I just don't think Americans want another politician caught with his pants off.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:03 PM   #19
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
People are tired of politics as usual and want some straight talk.
I have heard this sentiment epxressed so many times in so many elections during my life that I think being tired of politics as usual is politics as usual.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:03 PM   #20
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
I'd still bet on him rather than against him.
Good plan. Bet on Obama for the W. But in an over-under, take the under. It'll be a squeaker.