cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2008, 04:28 PM   #21
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
For less than 2 years. In a state close to Russia, which is why she has foreign policy experience. Plus, she is the head of the national guard in Alaska, right?
Quote:
By the way, Tex, I do find it amusing how you are totally on board with the Palin pick without knowing anything about her positions. Tell me: what are her views on Iraq? Afghanistan? Pakistan? China? How about social security privatization? Tax policies? Healthcare? Do you know what her positions are on any of those subjects? Of course you don't. None of us do. And yet, there you are, full on board with her candidacy, knowing nothing about her other than McCain likes her. That is the definition of being a partisan hack. Supporting a candidate for VP without knowing a thing about her beliefs on some of the most important issues we face today.
I'm voting for the candidate of change. And I think having a hot mama as VP is some needed change in our country.

Obama's just mad he can't unseal some divorce records and drive her from the race.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 04:44 PM   #22
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
He didn't say that is what qualifies him to be president (which I assume you know)...
Excuse me. I thought we were playing a game of taking a past position or statement made by a candidate and portraying in the absolute most negative light possible, sometimes beyond any reasonable interpretation. If we're not playing that game, then I have to ask why you're arguing that Sarah Palin wants Alaska to secede from the US.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 04:45 PM   #23
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
My joke was better. Okay, it wasn't. But at least somebody thinks like me. Perhaps attention to orthographical accuracy was what Mike was referring to when he suggested I possess Cali-like wisdom.
Your joke would have been printed and passed out by the staff at our local public library. It was that good.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 05:08 PM   #24
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Your joke would have been printed and passed out by the staff at our local public library. It was that good.
Don't I know it! I'll have you know last year I was nominated for funniest science librarian at the annual Oklahoma Library Association convention.

PZ8.7.M37 Li
jokes, bad
humor, juvenile
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 06:26 PM   #25
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Excuse me. I thought we were playing a game of taking a past position or statement made by a candidate and portraying in the absolute most negative light possible, sometimes beyond any reasonable interpretation. If we're not playing that game, then I have to ask why you're arguing that Sarah Palin wants Alaska to secede from the US.
She joined a secessionist party and spoke at their annual convention. You tell me what we should infer.

Here are some more great thoughts from Palin:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/0..._n_123205.html
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 06:52 PM   #26
Tex

This breathless Cali Coug commentary reminds me of when John Bolton said that if 10 stories of the United Nations building were to disappear, no one would even notice. He was commenting on the layers of meaningless bureaucracy. The nutty left said he wanted to blow up (as in, explode) 10 stories.

This kind of idiocy ("Palin wants to secede!") is the risk of selecting a greener running mate. McCain had better get Palin out in front and let her define herself, or the nuts will do it for her. Have her give a substantive speech on something she knows well (say, energy), and it will help push meaningless rhetoric (see: Cali's last 10 posts) right off the page.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 09-02-2008, 07:10 PM   #27
Tex

Quote:
Meaningless rhetoric? This is all we know about her, Tex. It is all you know about her. For all I know, it is all McCain knows about her.

What are her positions on areas other than energy, abortion and guns? Please, enlighten us all. You openly mocked Obama supporters several months ago for following Obama when many of his supporters didn't know his positions. Of course, at least Obama's positions were available! People COULD find them out if they wanted to.

Now you have those same Republicans who openly mocked Obama lining up quick as they can behind Palin. This time, however, her positions actually AREN'T available anywhere! How can you support someone for the vice-presidency when you don't have a clue what she believes?
She was just selected 3 days ago, Cali. Obama's been running for President for about 4 years. Relax.

Parenthetically, it's amusing to see Obama feel a need to defend himself against our vice presidential candidate. It's as though he's conceded that he can't stack up to McCain, but at least he beats our #2!

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 09-02-2008, 07:25 PM   #28
Tex

Quote:
Why was she selected, Tex? Why do you support her? What are her positions? Her record is less known than that of any vice-presidential candidate in recent memory. You support her because McCain picked her. That is the only reason. That makes you a partisan hack, and a hypocrite for criticizing the Obama supporters who supported Obama without knowing many of his positions (which at least were available).
Here's what I've said so far about Palin:

- Timing of the announcement was excellent
- Keeping the actual pick under wraps (thus maintaining shock value) was excellent
- Palin's lack of experience does not remove Obama's lack of experience from the debate table
- The tempest in a teapot around her daughter's pregnancy is a disgrace

Other than that, I've adopted a wait-and-see attitude. From what I've heard other trusted commentators say, I'm cautiously optimistic, but I confess I'd like to hear her speak more. As I said, it's been all of 3 days.

Quote:
The nation appears to agree that this was a lousy pick. Obama just hit 50% in the Gallup daily tracking poll for the first time, and his lead is back up to 8 points.
The nation doesn't know anything about her, making polling on the topic almost meaningless, much like your moronic, hyperventilating-style commentary.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 09-02-2008, 07:31 PM   #29
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
She joined a secessionist party and spoke at their annual convention. You tell me what we should infer.

Here are some more great thoughts from Palin:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/0..._n_123205.html
This quote from her speech is scary as hell:
Quote:
"Pray for our military men and women who are striving to do what is right. Also, for this country, that our leaders, our national leaders, are sending [U.S. soldiers] out on a task that is from God...That's what we have to make sure that we're praying for, that there is a plan and that that plan is God's plan."
And this one is just plain kooky:
Quote:
"I think God's will has to be done in unifying people and companies to get that gas line built, so pray for that..."
Where did McCain find this woman? I'm convinced she will become McCain's Harriet Miers.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 07:41 PM   #30
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
This quote from her speech is scary as hell:

And this one is just plain kooky:

Where did McCain find this woman? I'm convinced she will become McCain's Harriet Miers.
Yikes.