cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2008, 10:29 PM   #71
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
And you clearly don't understand logic. I didn't cite the Holocaust. I cited a line from a poem that warns of stepping onto the path of denying others of their liberties, particularly when that denial would be offensive if it were to occur to oneself.
Apparently you are unaware of the poem's source, which should be astonishing, but isn't.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young

Last edited by Tex; 10-22-2008 at 10:34 PM.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 10:53 PM   #72
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Yes- he has said he will curtail executive powers. Are you really this obtuse? He has discussed the overreaching of the executive branch on multiple occasions. Here is one site listing several of his statements:

http://www.onemillionstrong.us/showDiary.do?diaryId=492

Again, if you are looking for someone to curtail the power of the executive branch, I fail to see how you can even consider McCain. It is all the more amusing given the timing of your question, which happens to correspond to yet another statement by Palin that expanding the powers of the VP may occur in her discretion, coupled with her endorsement of Cheney as one of the greatest VPs this nation has ever had.
Quote:
"The Supreme Court has never held that the president has such powers. As president, I will follow existing law, and when it comes to U.S. citizens and residents, I will only authorize surveillance for national security purposes consistent with FISA and other federal statutes."
Where is the guarantee? Existing law allows the current President to act as he has acted -- so in other words Obama will act similarly to Bush?

Quote:
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation.

As Commander-in-Chief, the President does have a duty to protect and defend the United States. In instances of self-defense, the President would be within his constitutional authority to act before advising Congress or seeking its consent. History has shown us time and again, however, that military action is most successful when it is authorized and supported by the Legislative branch. It is always preferable to have the informed consent of Congress prior to any military action.

As for the specific question about bombing suspected nuclear sites, I recently introduced S.J. Res. 23, which states in part that "any offensive military action taken by the United States against Iran must be explicitly authorized by Congress." The recent NIE tells us that Iran in 2003 halted its effort to design a nuclear weapon. While this does not mean that Iran is no longer a threat to the United States or its allies, it does give us time to conduct aggressive and principled personal diplomacy aimed at preventing Iran from developing nuclear weapons."
Is the guarantee in there? Or in the next statement maybe ...

Quote:
"No. I reject the Bush Administration's claim that the President has plenary authority under the Constitution to detain U.S. citizens without charges as unlawful enemy combatants."
Furthermore, aren't these answers from the primaries ... where are the links to his guarantee statements of his current platform running as the Democratic nominee?
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 03:31 AM   #73
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Apparently you are unaware of the poem's source, which should be astonishing, but isn't.
The poem was written with the Holocaust in mind. That doesn't make a reference to the poem a reference to the Holocaust.

I have clearly given you more intellectual credit than you deserve. This is the dumbest exchange I have been a part of on CG, and that is saying something.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 03:32 AM   #74
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
Where is the guarantee? Existing law allows the current President to act as he has acted -- so in other words Obama will act similarly to Bush?

Is the guarantee in there? Or in the next statement maybe ...

Furthermore, aren't these answers from the primaries ... where are the links to his guarantee statements of his current platform running as the Democratic nominee?
Don't be deliberately stupid, tooblue. Are you telling me that if Obama used the word "guarantee" to describe what he would or would not do, that would be sufficient, but when he describes what he will or won't do without using the word guarantee, you are skeptical?

I think you put WAY too much emphasis on the word "guarantee." I guarantee it.
Old 10-23-2008, 05:05 AM   #75
Tex

Quote:
The poem was written with the Holocaust in mind. That doesn't make a reference to the poem a reference to the Holocaust.
If you twist that just one more time, it'd make a nice pretzel.

Quote:
I have clearly given you more intellectual credit than you deserve. This is the dumbest exchange I have been a part of on CG, and that is saying something.
You say that to everyone. Must be tough being the most self-righteous guy on the board in Mike Waters' absence.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 10-23-2008, 01:55 PM   #76
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
So naturally, it's logical to assume there isn't one.
Am I supposed to be a mind reader? Your posts have never given any hint that you would draw the line anywhere. Just trying to understand where you're coming from.

Last edited by BlueK; 10-23-2008 at 02:00 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 02:11 PM   #77
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
Am I supposed to be a mind reader? Your posts have never given any hint that you would draw the line anywhere. Just trying to understand where you're coming from.
You could read minds. Or you could exercise a little common sense. Up to you.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 10-23-2008, 03:45 PM   #78
Cali Coug

Quote:
If you twist that just one more time, it'd make a nice pretzel.
Is every reference to the Gettysburg Address a reference to the battle at Gettysburg?

Is every reference to A Tale of Two Cities a reference to the French Revolution?

Is every reference to the Declaration of Independence a reference to England?

Is every reference to Tex a reference to a lack of logic?

Ok- the last one was a bad example.

Quote:
You say that to everyone. Must be tough being the most self-righteous guy on the board in Mike Waters' absence.
Amusing, particularly given your latest post to BlueK.
Old 10-23-2008, 03:49 PM   #79
Tex

Quote:
Is every reference to the Gettysburg Address a reference to the battle at Gettysburg?

Is every reference to A Tale of Two Cities a reference to the French Revolution?

Is every reference to the Declaration of Independence a reference to England?
These pretzels are makin' me thirsty!

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 10-23-2008, 05:30 PM   #80
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Don't be deliberately stupid, tooblue. Are you telling me that if Obama used the word "guarantee" to describe what he would or would not do, that would be sufficient, but when he describes what he will or won't do without using the word guarantee, you are skeptical?

I think you put WAY too much emphasis on the word "guarantee." I guarantee it.
He did say he WILL act consistent with the law ... current law permits President Bush to exercise expanded executive privilege. Ergo, Obama WILL act similarly as President Bush.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote