cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who is the worst U.S. President ever?
George W. Bush 7 21.88%
Nixon 3 9.38%
Carter 12 37.50%
Harding 5 15.63%
Grant 2 6.25%
Coolidge 1 3.13%
Polk 0 0%
Johnson 0 0%
Clinton 2 6.25%
Wilson 0 0%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-20-2007, 04:07 PM   #41
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
I don't forget Carter. Both he and Bush get an F for leadership. They both suck there and it led in both cases to disaster in foreign policy. But I think you give Bush too much credit for the economy. Carter trashed it because he inherited a bad situation and everything he did made it worse. Bush is only saved there because fortunately he comes from a somewhat conservative economic philosophy of leaving it alone (with the exception of spending like crazy). He also inherits the Reagan legacy of letting the federal reserve do it's thing independent of the presidency, something that got Carter and previous presidents in trouble.
So you admit that his more conservative tendencies are better than Carter's bad tendencies.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:08 PM   #42
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
based on one thing, the Iraq War. Don't give me the spending thing. Reagan didn't keep his promise on spending either.

It is Iraq. An unpopular war doomed Johnson despite all his great society stuff.

Americans and maybe all people want solutions and fast solutions. They can't stand the thought that something can't be fixed and fixed in a hurry. The very idea the mess we are in is preferable to what else might have happened is inconceivable.

Time has proven Carter was a bad President, time will tell us on Bush also.
Time has already provided us ample evidence that Clinton was worse than mediocre. His policies 'enabled' the terrorist attack on 911 which proved to be the catalyst for this war.

Clinton's presidency set the stage for GWB's reactionary presidency ... it's cause and effect.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 04:09 PM   #43
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

I am not a student of presidential political history - however, I voted for GWB because I can't imagine any previous president mucking up things worse than he is, and the country still be in existence.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 04:11 PM   #44
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
I refuse to choose GW only because I think it's poor methodology to rank a sitting president among those whose terms are complete.

I think we can rest assured, though, that future history will place him in the bottom 5.
It depends on a lot of things that happens after he leaves office. If the country goes into a big recession after the dems take over, he might be thought of in much better light.

Let's face it, Iraq is a big deal in the news. Without Iraq though look at what Americans are griping about, immigration, health care, gasoline prices, government debt, etc. Things Americans always gripe about. If Bush had put off dealing with terrorists like Clinton did, what is worse about his Presidency than say Clintons.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 04:11 PM   #45
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
I am not a student of presidential political history - however, I voted for GWB because I can't imagine any previous president mucking up things worse than he is, and the country still be in existence.
You really need a better imagination. Buchanan's inaction led to a freakin' Civil War. Few things are worse on a nations' morale than that.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 04:13 PM   #46
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
You really need a better imagination. Buchanan's inaction led to a freakin' Civil War. Few things are worse on a nations' morale than that.
Most people's historical perspective begins with the day of their birth.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 04:14 PM   #47
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Buchanan didn't cause the civil war. Get real. Nobody tried harder to stop it than Lincoln. He even wanted the federal government to buy the slaves from the landowners over time. The civil war was foreordained and bound to happen. Our civil rights baptism of blood. Our great spiritual crucible. You demean it when you say Buchanan caused it.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 04:15 PM   #48
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

This has little bearing on the current discussion, but I thought it was interesting.

Presidential approval ratings, courtesy Wall Street Journal:

Last edited by BarbaraGordon; 06-20-2007 at 05:02 PM.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 04:17 PM   #49
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Most people's historical perspective begins with the day of their birth.
Tex, this comment is as unimaginitive as santos saying everyone's a racist. I'd expect more from you. However, I can understand why you would say that about yourself, which is why some find you so offensive. Some people work hard to overcome that natural handicap we're all dealt. Personally, I think U.S. history needs to be viewed from a 3,000 year perspective or it loses most of its meaning. FWIW, the Mormon Church's hostility to historical perspective is the thing that disturbs me most about it.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 04:19 PM   #50
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know. Has any President had positive approval ratings in the 3rd year of his second term.

The poll that shows how out of touch Americans are is the right path wrong path poll. Each American takes their own pet peeve, war, immigration, health care spending, etc. and focus's on that. Wrong path.

Heck, if they asked me I might say wrong path. Dems won the congress and might win the Presidency. That's wrong path as far as I am concerned.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote