cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2007, 01:13 AM   #1
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Has Fred Thompson's Rose Lost It's Bloom?

The latest Fox polls:

DEMOCRATS

Hillary Rodham Clinton, 40 percent

Barack Obama, 21 percent

Al Gore, 12 percent

John Edwards, 11 percent

REPUBLICANS

Rudy Giuliani, 27 percent

Fred Thompson, 18 percent

John McCain, 16 percent

Mitt Romney, 10 percent

There's lots of time for changes, but:

Of late, Clinton has extended her lead over Obama.

It's possible that Thompson has missed his window of opportunity.

McCain's numbers seem to have stabilized.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 01:22 AM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

I now reside in a country whose populace I cannot love. Any populace that could favor Hillary, is not a populace with which I can identify. I am but an anachronism.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:24 AM   #3
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
The latest Fox polls:

DEMOCRATS

Hillary Rodham Clinton, 40 percent

Barack Obama, 21 percent

Al Gore, 12 percent

John Edwards, 11 percent

REPUBLICANS

Rudy Giuliani, 27 percent

Fred Thompson, 18 percent

John McCain, 16 percent

Mitt Romney, 10 percent

There's lots of time for changes, but:

Of late, Clinton has extended her lead over Obama.

McCain's numbers seem to have stabilized.
Why doesn't this mean Romney's lost his bloom, last place among contenders and trailing even DOA McCain by a wide marin? Thompson's no. 2 not even having started campaigning.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 01:26 AM   #4
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Why doesn't this mean Romney's lost his bloom, last place among contenders and trailing even DOA McCain by a wide marin? Thompson's no. 2 not even having started campaigning.
Conventional thinking is, if you haven't entered the race and are losing before you're being hit, you won't get money.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:32 AM   #5
Sleeping in EQ

Quote:
Romney is leading in both Iowa and NH and he's raising the bucks. His numbers are stable and he's done well in the debates.

Thompson is not getting much money, seems indecisive (or so say my conservative friends), and his staying out of the fray looks more and more like cowardly sniping from the sidelines as time passes. Gingrich is great at this sort of thing because he's not a serious contender for the presidency (he could be angling for an appointment, though).

McCain may not be as DOA as Giuliani and Romney supporters want him to be. He's a battler and his numbers have been up the last week or so.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

Old 08-03-2007, 02:17 AM   #6
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
because he's still leading in NH and Iowa. You're smart enough to know most of the country has no say in who gets nominated.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 02:57 AM   #7
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

You might be right. The Thompson craze reminds me of when Lavell used to say that BYU fans always thought the best QB was the one not playing.

Thompson will face several challenges. First, getting cash quick. Many of the big donors have chosen their candidates, so his pool may be limited.

Second, building an effective infrastructure in key states in a short period of time. The best campaign consultants are employed by other candidates to further add difficulty.

Third, he'll finally have to face the full scale assault of other campaigns. He will be the main focus of the other candidates and they'll go after him hard. Their powder has been kept dry up to this point, so who knows how he'll handle himself.

Fourth, the standard strategy of political campaigns is to keep public expectations low and then overachieve. The media has made him out to be the great GOP hope, so he has to deliver big. It's not likely to happen.

I've always liked Senator Thompson, but I've never been blown-away impressed with him. Hopefully he'll do well. A good showing by him will only serve to, as Bronco would say, raise the barfor the other candidates
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 03:17 AM   #8
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The latest Fox polls:
Quote:
Romney is leading in both Iowa and NH and he's raising the bucks. His numbers are stable and he's done well in the debates.
According to Brit Hume's show last night, Fox polls in IA and NH both have Guiliani in a statistical tie with Romney.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
You might be right. The Thompson craze reminds me of when Lavell used to say that BYU fans always thought the best QB was the one not playing.
That's kinda what I've been saying about Thompson too. General dissatisfaction with the current candidates leads to irrational love for the guy not playing.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 02:49 PM   #9
Sleeping in EQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
According to Brit Hume's show last night, Fox polls in IA and NH both have Guiliani in a statistical tie with Romney.
Fox News seems to give Giuliani every benefit of the doubt. They downplay negatives that happen in his campaign. Setting aside the coke dealing state chair, never has a major candidate gotten such a pass from FN on abortion, gay rights, and gun control as Giiuliani has.

FN is doing all it can to annoint Giuliani without it seeming too obvious.

Old 08-03-2007, 03:06 PM   #10
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Fox News seems to give Giuliani every benefit of the doubt. They downplay negatives that happen in his campaign. Setting aside the coke dealing state chair, never has a major candidate gotten such a pass from FN on abortion, gay rights, and gun control as Giiuliani has.

FN is doing all it can to annoint Giuliani without it seeming too obvious.
Interesting. I've not seen anything in the coverage I've watched to indicate to me that one candidate is favored over another.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote