cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Outdoor / Scouting / Survival
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-20-2006, 03:52 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The First Scout Meeting...

Nothing to take the wind out of your sails like a bunch of bad attitudes.

No one even wore a scout shirt. A couple of non-members were cussing away in Spanish. Six or so non-members were unruly, and told me point-blank they had no interest in scouting.

It's a tough situation because the YM's president is on a rescue operation. He seems these neighborhood kids as having potential, but they have not integrated at all with the 7 or 8 member kids, who don't like them.

I'm going to have to cut back my plans. I cannot go to my friends and ask for their support in terms of instruction and activities. Frankly this group is an embarrassment.

Potentially there are 1 or 2 college grads in the bunch.

I am now rethinking asking a friend to be asst. scoutmaster. Havent' asked him yet, but why should I ask for his help when I suspect it will not be appreciated or utilized?

However, as the trainmaster, I'm ordering more coal in the engine. The train is going to pick up speed, and not everyone is going to be on it. I have a lot of room to maneuver because 1) it's impossible for me to be fired--no good replacements and 2) I don't care if I'm fired.

I don't think Christ cleansed the temple the first time he saw the money-changers. Eventually, however, if any work is to be done, there will need to be a good thorough spring cleaning.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote