cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2007, 10:35 PM   #1
Judge Smails

Judge Smails is on a distinguished road
Default Does TV exposure = recruiting success

If I concede fewer casual football fans will see BYU this year than in say, 2004 (and I will) does that mean recruiting will suffer.

I'm putting words in their mouths, but here's the 3 hypotheticals I see the "killing recruiting" crowd using to make their point:

Hypothetical #1:

Recruit is sitting on the sofa one Thursday night, flipping through channels, dials up ESPN to catch us playing Notre Dame, and thinks, you know, I'm not going to go to Oregon St. Damn, that BYU looks like a great place to play. Mom, get me Gary Crowton on the line, pronto.

Now, I'm not sure if a study could be done, but I'm guessing there's exactly zero people on the current roster who had this experience.

Hypothetical #2

Recruit in say, California says, "I'm not sure if I want to play at Oregon St or BYU, but my parents won't be able to see me on TV unless I go to Oregon St. I'm going with the Beavers".

Yes that's a possible scenario, but with a major flaw - that being the kid's parents will probably be able to see MORE BYU games than Oregon St games from California via CSTV and VS.

Hypothetical #3

In general, recruits are less aware of BYU because they aren't on ESPN on Thursday nights. This lack of awareness costs us a recruit or 2 a year, who if they had caught a quarter of BYU football would have perhaps had us on their radar screen.

This is plausible, but I just don't think it happens. 99% of our recruits are aware of BYU, not because of TV, but because it is a church school. The other 1% are not choosing BYU because they're familiar with us. They're choosing BYU because a high school coach or a JUCO coach has a connection with someone from our staff or our staff was tipped off to go check out a kid or they're teammates with an LDS recruit.

Will we EVER lose a recruit because of the mtn. I suspect it will probably happen, but it's less than many of you portend. If the mtn lives out its 14 year life and never gets on the satellites, I suspect BYU's talent makeup will change VERY little from what it currently is.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:00 PM   #2
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

To me, that is the problem. If we stay as is, our talent likely will NOT improve over time, you are right. Conversely, our talent pool would be richer over time if we had greater exposure.

It is a simple function of branding. Being on national TV more builds your brand. The more common the BYU name is, the better it is for our recruiting.

This is also why West coast teams play non-conference games....it helps your recruiting in other areas. PC has said as much on several ocassions. How do you think SC landed Dwayne Jarrett, a New Jersey HS recruit? Everywhere you have turned since 2001, SC has been in everyone's face....on TV, in magazines, etc....The exposure helps them.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 11:03 PM   #3
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

What is important in recruiting? Facilities? Coaching? Competition? TV exposure? All of the above?

Any one, I could make the same silly hypo you make.

If BYU loses to TCU tonight, is a recruit really going to all of a sudden change his mind and go to a different school? See, winning doesn't matter, either.

All those factors matter, and TV is a big one.

A big part of why a recruit says he wants to go to a BCS school over BYU is not because there's something magical about being a BCS school. It's primarily the exposure. Now we're even less than Boise and Hawaii on that totem pole.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 11:31 PM   #4
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

What the hell is your point regarding TV exposure? You aren't trying to argue that TV exposure does not matter with regard to the overall success of our football program are you? TV exposure has effects on more aspects than just recruiting.

The bottom line is this: The more TV exposure, the better for our program. And our current TV contract results in crappy TV exposure right now.
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 11:54 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm telling you, Smails is Holmoe's bastard son.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 02:39 PM   #6
Judge Smails

Default Clearly, I want our TV contract to succeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Cat View Post
What the hell is your point regarding TV exposure? You aren't trying to argue that TV exposure does not matter with regard to the overall success of our football program are you? TV exposure has effects on more aspects than just recruiting.

The bottom line is this: The more TV exposure, the better for our program. And our current TV contract results in crappy TV exposure right now.
so we can have exposure.

I'm merely suggesting this Chicken Little attitude that our recruiting is going to hit the skids if things don't improve is ridiculous.

Be pissed that you can't watch games. You should be. But declining recruiting is a red herring for your pissitude.

That's ALL I'm saying. Nothing more.

I want more TV too.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:15 PM   #7
Ace Tomato Co.

Ace Tomato Co. is on a distinguished road

I could add another scenario: Head Coach is sitting in recruit's living room, looking for any and all arguments why recruit shouldn't go to BYU - so he brings up the fact that "no one will ever see you play - not your family, not NFL scouts, not your friends, nobody."

These are 17 to 18 year old kids. They'll buy whatever said head coach is selling. I could see this having a negative impact on our recruiting.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:25 PM   #8
Judge Smails

Default Another scenario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Tomato Co. View Post
I could add another scenario: Head Coach is sitting in recruit's living room, looking for any and all arguments why recruit shouldn't go to BYU - so he brings up the fact that "no one will ever see you play - not your family, not NFL scouts, not your friends, nobody."

These are 17 to 18 year old kids. They'll buy whatever said head coach is selling. I could see this having a negative impact on our recruiting.
Bronco Mendenhall sits in their living room and says "Bulls***"
Old 11-09-2007, 03:52 PM   #9
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Smails View Post
Bronco Mendenhall sits in their living room and says "Bulls***"
And then whips out a card showing that more than half the games this year were available nationally, including virtually all the games that actually mattered.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 03:56 PM   #10
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
And then whips out a card showing that more than half the games this year were available nationally, including virtually all the games that actually mattered.
And then the recruit says really? Wow, I never saw them once and I watched a lot of football.

And then he goes back to his buddies at school and says hey guys I'm going for the bigtime, you guys will be watching me on VS and CSTV in the future.

Yeah...not gonna work too well...
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote