cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2007, 06:18 PM   #11
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

My brother has been a diehard Cowboys fan in the land of the 49ers since he was little too. It makes more sense for kids in Utah to like them though. I mean, it's not like Utah has a "home" NFL team to cheer on.
marsupial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 06:21 PM   #12
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
I've never lived in Dallas,,,but I've been a Cowboys fan since I was a kid as well.

I grew up watching Tony Dorsett, Danny White, Drew Pearson, Too Tall Jones, Randy White...etc....and have just been a fan ever since.

Even during the sucky 1-15 year and the craptacular years they had back then I stuck by them.
Not sure if you know, but the Cowboys used to practice every summer in Thousand Oaks, CA through the mid-to-late 80s. They would practice at Cal Lutheran College, which was about 10 blocks from my house. As a kid, in the summer we would ride bikes over to the practice field and watch the practices in the mid morning. If you were one of the lucky kids, one of the players would let you carry his helmet from the fields to the dorms as they left for lunch and afternoon meetings.

I was not a cowboys fan, nor am I now, but they definitely treated the kids very well. The players would take pics and sign things. I met Danny White and Tony Dorsett, as well as The Hat. By "met," I mean it was like, "Hi Coach!" "Hi, kid."

One time we were at the Oaks Mall and saw a group of large black dudes wearing short shorts, linen shirts, and crocodile loafers walking around shopping and signing autographs. They were Cowboys players. I knew then that I wanted to play in the NFL and have my own pair of crocodile loafers.

Fast forward 25 years. As i type this, it is obvious that I will never play in the NFL, so it may be time for me to focus entirely on getting the pair of crocodile loafers.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 06:23 PM   #13
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Not sure if you know, but the Cowboys used to practice every summer in Thousand Oaks, CA through the mid-to-late 80s. They would practice at Cal Lutheran College, which was about 10 blocks from my house. As a kid, in the summer we would ride bikes over to the practice field and watch the practices in the mid morning. If you were one of the lucky kids, one of the players would let you carry his helmet from the fields to the dorms as they left for lunch and afternoon meetings.

I was not a cowboys fan, nor am I now, but they definitely treated the kids very well. The players would take pics and sign things. I met Danny White and Tony Dorsett, as well as The Hat. By "met," I mean it was like, "Hi Coach!" "Hi, kid."

One time we were at the Oaks Mall and saw a group of large black dudes wearing short shorts, linen shirts, and crocodile loafers walking around shopping and signing autographs. They were Cowboys players. I knew then that I wanted to play in the NFL and have my own pair of crocodile loafers.

Fast forward 25 years. As i type this, it is obvious that I will never play in the NFL, so it may be time for me to focus entirely on getting the pair of crocodile loafers.
I used to go to the Raiders practices in Oxnard and the scrimmages against the Cowboys with my old man who is a Cowboys fan. I bleed silver and black.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 06:28 PM   #14
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
I used to go to the Raiders practices in Oxnard and the scrimmages against the Cowboys with my old man who is a Cowboys fan. I bleed silver and black.
Surfah, me too! I am a proud member of Raider Nation and the Commitment to Excellence. Too bad they suck so badly lately.

Oxnard was too far to watch practices, but living in T.O., it was awesome to be able to see them scrimmage every now and then.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 12-15-2007, 06:32 PM   #15
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
Two words:

AMERICA'S TEAM

Read 'em and weep.
It doesn't work when the label is self proclaimed. Just like nobody other than zoobs believe the line about the Lord's team.

When I was a kid, that was the reason I decided to hate the Cowboys. Nobody asked me if the Cowboys were my team.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 06:34 PM   #16
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Surfah, me too! I am a proud member of Raider Nation and the Commitment to Excellence. Too bad they suck so badly lately.

Oxnard was too far to watch practices, but living in T.O., it was awesome to be able to see them scrimmage every now and then.
My dad was born and raised in Hawaii. He grew up a Cowboys fan because it was the only games televised there.

My favorite was the fan appreciation day when the Raiders would have an intrasquad scrimmage and then the fans would be allowed onto the field and they'd sign autographs for a few hours.

I got some good ones that way including Marcus Allen, Howie Long, Steve Wisnewski, and Eric Dickerson. My favorite though is Bob Golic. My sister didn't care and just took pics with the Raiderettes all day. I was an idiot.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 06:39 PM   #17
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
My dad was born and raised in Hawaii. He grew up a Cowboys fan because it was the only games televised there.

My favorite was the fan appreciation day when the Raiders would have an intrasquad scrimmage and then the fans would be allowed onto the field and they'd sign autographs for a few hours.

I got some good ones that way including Marcus Allen, Howie Long, Steve Wisnewski, and Eric Dickerson. My favorite though is Bob Golic. My sister didn't care and just took pics with the Raiderettes all day. I was an idiot.
when my wife was in extended stay at the hospital on bedrest for the babies, one of her day nurses was an ex-raiderette. she was likely almost 50. But man, she definitely had maintained her Commitment to Excellence. She wound up marrying some wealthy doctor from Newport Beach. Wow, big surprise there.

Old 12-16-2007, 04:18 AM   #18
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
My brother has been a diehard Cowboys fan in the land of the 49ers since he was little too.
LOSER!
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 04:44 PM   #19
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:

This reminds me. They filmed several episodes of Knight Rider in my town when I was a kid. You'd find out at school where they were filming that day, then after school all of us would get on our bikes and ride like mad to get there while they were still filming. Hasselhoff got to recognize us and would say hello after the first few days. One thing though, I was very disappointed to find out that KITT couldn't really talk.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:23 PM   #20
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
One thing though, I was very disappointed to find out that KITT couldn't really talk.

KITT couldn't talk, but he got game... look at the way those ladies jump in his car!
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote