cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2008, 01:04 AM   #11
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
What I mean by over-rated is that he's not the best player in the NBA. 2nd best. As far as MVP voting, he's 3rd. Kobe, Paul, LeBron, McGrady (by pure virtue of the streak). Any talk of LeBron as MVP isn't really deserved. His team in the west would be 10th and out of the playoffs. Kobe has his team in a tie for first in the west.
I would honestly rank my top 5 like this:

1) Lebron
2) Kobe
3) McGrady
4a) Paul
4b) Williams (yes, I am being a bit of a Jazz homer, but his season is being underrated, IMO, and this is my top 5.)

Also, as far as teams are concerned, take Kobe off of LA and you have a 25 win team. Take Lebron off of Cleveland and even in the east and you have a 10-15 win team. I understand what you are saying, but the Cavs have held their own against the West. They are 2-0 against the Lakers, 1-1 v. the Jazz, 1-1 v. the Warriors, 1-1 v. San Antonio, 0-2 v. Houston (both games during Houston's 22-game winning streak), and 0-2 v. Phoenix. Slightly under .500 against the top teams in the West, which is respectable. I'd be interested in seeing everybody else's record against the top teams in the West. I'd bet you'd find a few of the top teams with records under .500 too.

IMO, in a normal season either Kobe or Lebron would be running away with the MVP. The only difference is this year they are going head to head and are both worthy of the award. Whoever wins it honestly deserves it, because what they are each doing this year is phenomenal.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 04:25 PM   #12
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

With Gasol being out the next 3 games, we will truly see if Kobe deserves the MVP this year. So far not so good for Kobe and the Lakers.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:28 PM   #13
smokymountainrain

smokymountainrain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
With Gasol being out the next 3 games, we will truly see if Kobe deserves the MVP this year. So far not so good for Kobe and the Lakers.
0-2 so far? But you have to give Kobe a break. If McGrady were to lose Yao for a long stretch...oh, wait. Nevermind.
smokymountainrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 03:54 AM   #14
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
If Kobe's ability to carry the team is still in question then he'll never have your vote. Just look at what he did the last two and a half seasons.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 04:23 AM   #15
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
Just look at what he did the last two and a half seasons.
Which differs than that Lebron which is doing with the Cavs... how? At least Lebron took them to the ECFs last season.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 05:36 AM   #16
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
Which differs than that Lebron which is doing with the Cavs... how? At least Lebron took them to the ECFs last season.
ECF's dude. Lebron's team is what 8-9 games above .500. In the east? That's weak.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:42 PM   #17
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
Went to the Wizards/Cavs game last night. Washington won a close one 101-99. Apparently Stevenson was jawing with LeBron the whole game and in the post game, called LeBron Over-rated. Stevenson has turned into a pretty good player since leaving the Jazz. He's been a key component of the Wizards the last two seasons. However, when Cleveland owns a 2-0 playoff advantage over you...I don't know that you want to be calling out LeBron.

In former Jazz related news, Sasha Pavlovic has also turned into quite a threat. He was knocking down threes left and right last night. Finished with 23 or 24 points I think. I still don't understand why they left him unprotected in the expansion draft and hung on to Collins and Borchardt.
I'm now a huge DeShawn Stevenson fan. While I don't agree that LeBron James is overrated, anything that is anti-LeBron I can certainly get behind.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 08:25 PM   #18
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
I'm now a huge DeShawn Stevenson fan. While I don't agree that LeBron James is overrated, anything that is anti-LeBron I can certainly get behind.
What is there to hate with LeBron?
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 05:41 PM   #19
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Anyone have any context for this LBJ-Deshawn feud? First, Deshawn lobs a blast at LBJ. LBJ fires back.

Now we have this back from Deshawn:

“I hope we play Cleveland. I’m going to get Soulja Boy courtside seats and have him wear a DeShawn Stevenson jersey. Maybe he can have Jay-Z there since LeBron’s all on his jock anyway. And tell LeBron to cut that beard off and stop copying me.”

Stop copying me? Is that what this has come to? What is going on between these guys?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:54 PM   #20
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
What is there to hate with LeBron?
I counter is what is there to like about LeBron James. Here is a perfect example of why you should hate that little winner chaser. He grew up in Ohio and is a New York Yankees fan. That alone should be more than enough to hate him.

It is kind of like that winner chaser Kobe Bryant who was a Laker fan growing up in Philly.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote