cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2008, 08:55 PM   #1
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Jazz looking okay

I thought the Jazz had a good chance to beat San Antonio at home last night, but I certainly didn't see a 30-point beatdown coming. Of course, Popovich essentially raised a white flag with 15 minutes left in the game, so I'm unsure how much we can learn.

Another concern is that I'm not sold that Utah's defense had a lot to do with the Spurs' 64-point total. San Antonio missed an awful lot of layups and wide-open looks. And Ginobili certainly isn't at 100%.

I still think the Jazz are a solid defensive center away from winning it all. Can Fesenko be that guy? I'd be willing to move Okur, as great as he's been playing, for a seven-footer who can blocks shots and intimidate opposing players around the basket.

Oh, and good win, L.A. Typical collapse by Dallas, but still, every win counts at this point. I think the seeding will go down to the last day.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 09:03 PM   #2
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
I thought the Jazz had a good chance to beat San Antonio at home last night, but I certainly didn't see a 30-point beatdown coming. Of course, Popovich essentially raised a white flag with 15 minutes left in the game, so I'm unsure how much we can learn.
The Spurs players said that Popovich sat the starters according to his standard rotation pattern at the end of the third quarter. When it was time to put them back in a few minutes later, the game was out of hand, so he didn't bother.

Honestly, I don't think it would have mattered. The Jazz were on an amazing roll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
Another concern is that I'm not sold that Utah's defense had a lot to do with the Spurs' 64-point total. San Antonio missed an awful lot of layups and wide-open looks. And Ginobili certainly isn't at 100%.
The refs let a lot of physical play go. Which was to our advantage.

Speaking of missed layups, Harpring missed about three in the second half.

We were at the ESA for this one. Sold out arena, playoff atmosphere. Our ears were ringing for hours afterward. An awesome game.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:04 PM   #3
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Had the Jazz lost last night, we could have taken one positive thing away from it - the Warriors would have been eliminated from the playoff picture.

Here's to you and your silly team, NorCal. You may think they're fun to watch, but it all ends before post season starts. That must feel good.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 09:33 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

how would the warriors been eliminated?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 09:39 PM   #5
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
how would the warriors been eliminated?
Something about the Warriors having 30 losses would make it impossible for them. I read it in the report of the game in the SA Express.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/s...r.385e7aa.html

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:41 PM   #6
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

It would have clinched a spot for the spurs, not eliminated the warriors. Meaning, there would have been no way that the Warriors make the playoffs and the Spurs don't.

FWIW, the Jazz are 1 win or 1 Warriors loss away from this scenario being applicable to them.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 09:42 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

The warriors are 1/2 game down from Denver. If they go ahead of Denver, they are in.

What the article says is that with a SA win, the Warriors would not have been able to pass SA.

Quote:
Gone, too, was a chance to officially secure a Western Conference playoff berth. With only six games remaining, a victory would have made it impossible for ninth-place Golden State, which has 30 losses, to catch the Spurs
Old 04-05-2008, 09:43 PM   #8
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

I thought the Jazz clinched last night with their win?

The Lakers clinched last night. It marks 55 out of 60 years in the playoffs. Pretty amazing.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 09:44 PM   #9
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
It would have clinched a spot for the spurs, not eliminated the warriors. Meaning, there would have been no way that the Warriors make the playoffs and the Spurs don't.

FWIW, the Jazz are 1 win or 1 Warriors loss away from this scenario being applicable to them.
My bad. I mis-read it.

Old 04-05-2008, 09:46 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I thought the Jazz clinched last night with their win?

The Lakers clinched last night. It marks 55 out of 60 years in the playoffs. Pretty amazing.
Denver is 4 games back of Utah. So that means that Utah has not clinched it's division.

SA and Lakers have an identical record, yet Lakers have clinched while SA has not. It must be because the Lakers win the tiebreaker with SA.