cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2008, 06:05 PM   #21
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Let me add that Paul and Deron Williams are both having epic seasons, two of the best seasons by point guards possibly ever. But Pauls is better in every major category and his team has more wins, thats why most people think he is better.

Also I think it was Scottie, no way you can compare Boozer to David West, Boozer is a much better player than West. West is a nice player but he is not as good as Boozer, but then again it helps your argument so I see why you did it.

Chandler averaged 5 points and 9 boards his last year in Chicago, his last two seasons in NO, he is averaging 10.6 points and 12.3 rebounds per game.

Peja Stojakovic is doing what Peja has always done, however he is a career 40.6% shooter from the 3pt line this year he is averaging 45.1% from the 3pt line.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:08 PM   #22
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
Let me add that Paul and Deron Williams are both having epic seasons, two of the best seasons by point guards possibly ever. But Pauls is better in every major category and his team has more wins, thats why most people think he is better.

Also I think it was Scottie, no way you can compare Boozer to David West, Boozer is a much better player than West. West is a nice player but he is not as good as Boozer, but then again it helps your argument so I see why you did it.

Chandler averaged 5 points and 9 boards his last year in Chicago, his last two seasons in NO, he is averaging 10.6 points and 12.3 rebounds per game.

Peja Stojakovic is doing what Peja has always done, however he is a career 40.6% shooter from the 3pt line this year he is averaging 45.1% from the 3pt line.
The biggest key to the Hornets run this year is Paul having his break out season and New Orleans being healthy.

Last season they got brutalized by injuries.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:32 PM   #23
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by UteStar View Post
I really like Iverson, but he is really not a point guard and that is why he is not on the list...you could make the same case for Arenas, but Arenas is a better player now than Iverson. Miller has been absolutely terrific this year. Years past, probably would not have been on the list, but this year, absolutely.
I'll concede that. It's the argument you can make for Amare or Duncan too. It also depends on what you want out of a PG. For me, I want someone who doesn't just distribute but can score as well. Kidd makes up for it with his ability to rebound to some degree. But I think a PG needs to be able to get to the rim, the foul line, and knock down jumpers besides just running plays.

Miller has been superb this season and has had a pretty consistent career. But I don't think he's elite. He's just one of those guys that does a little bit of everything but doesn't stand out or make an impression.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 08:08 PM   #24
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
Miller has been superb this season and has had a pretty consistent career. But I don't think he's elite. He's just one of those guys that does a little bit of everything but doesn't stand out or make an impression.
Not arguing, but there is a great case to say that Miller is pretty elite right now. He is averaging over the season:
17.2 ppg
7.0 assists
4.0 boards
49.5% from the field

On top of that, if you just take it since the beginning of the year when the 76ers have made their huge push (the past 50 games or so), he is doing the following:
20.0 points per game
7.7 assists per game
4.0 boards per game

He is playing some very good ball right now...and the 6ers are playing very well.

Goatnapper: "UteStar is the only one who is not scum."
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 08:12 PM   #25
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

A couple of quick points. I would still take Boozer over West, but David West is outstanding. Yes, I think Boozer is a bit better offensively, but West is a bit better defensively. West is going to be a beast for years to come. He averages over 20 points a game and is tenacious on both ends of the court.

People quickly point to Paul as being the reason for Chandler being so much better. No question, it helps. But Chandler struggle mightily in Chicago because of the offense run and his sporadic playing time. Chandler needed a team where he would get his time down low and have more freedom and he has that now in NO. Chandler improved because of Paul, getting older and playing with a coach that knew how to use him.

Goatnapper: "UteStar is the only one who is not scum."
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 11:14 PM   #26
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
This is a hard excercise because am I looking for a point guard to start a franchise with, or am I looking for a point guard to win one game. So I will do it like this, if I had to win a title in the next 3 seasons who would I want as my point guard.

1. Chris Paul
2. Deron Williams
3. Steve Nash
4. Chauncey Billups
5. Baron Davis
6. Jason Kidd
7. Allen Iverson
8. Jose Calderon
9. Rafer Alston
10. Andre Miller

11. Gilbert Arenas (higher if healthy)
12. Devin Harris
13. Leandro Barbosa
14. Mo Williams
15. Rajon Rondo
16. Jordan Farmar
17. Mike Bibby
18. Antonio Daniels
19. Beno Udrih
20. Jameer Nelson

Rafer Alston over Andre Miller, you have got to be kidding me on that one. I also think you have Baron Davis rated far too high. He is nothing more than an overrated gunner. He has never been a PG his whole career and really never been that good.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 11:16 PM   #27
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
1. Chris Paul/Deron William in a tie.

Paul has the best record right now in the West. Deron has an overwhelming better head to head record and overall team success thus far and has also proven to be more durable.

2. Steve Nash. On the decline now, but still one of the best.

3. Tony Parker. Almost as bad of a flopper as Ginobili, but his impact and presence is undeniable.

4. Chauncey Billups. One of the more underated PG's of the last 8 years. Doesn't nearly get the love he deserves and has earned.

5. Allen Iverson. Will go down as one of the toughest little big men in league history. If Chris Paul had his durability & toughness I'd rank him ahead of D-Will.

6. Andre Miller. There's just no denying the impact he's had on the Sixers this year. The guy has been consistently good every team he's played on and is often overlooked and over passed because of flashy guys.

I don't include Gilbert Arenas..he's not a point guard.

Jason Kidd has fallen significantly in the past year.

Baron Davis is more concerned with style over substance, even in light of his sick athleticism....still durability issues put him down the list as well.

Devin Harris is a major up and comer and the Mavericks will rue the day they gave him up for a washed up Jason Kidd who never could shoot worth a darn anyway.

Mike Bibby has had a resurgence in Atlanta and is the reason why the Hawks might make the playoffs. Course in the crappy Eastern Conference if you don't make the playoffs then you're just brutal.

Rafer Alston has been fantastic for Houston since early January.

Kirk Heinrich...definetly in the Top ten and I think is underated, however there's no questioning that he's really had a down year this season.

This doesn't happen much, but I really agree with that list.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 04:51 PM   #28
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone care to refute their comments about Rafer?
Old 04-25-2008, 04:55 PM   #29
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Iverson and Mello are probably the two most overrated players in the NBA.

So, no, I don't think Iverson belongs at number 5.

It's like Barkely said last night about Arenas, "Sometimes you gotta pass the damn baaaall!"
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote