cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2008, 04:16 AM   #31
Hsaru

Hsaru is on a distinguished road

except the Jazz lost any chance to win a championship and the Lakers became the new team to beat. Other than that worked out perfectly for both teams.
Hsaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 04:28 AM   #32
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hsaru View Post
except the Jazz lost any chance to win a championship and the Lakers became the new team to beat. Other than that worked out perfectly for both teams.
I doubt Fisher is who pushed the Lakers to the top, nor was his leaving detrimental to the Jazz chances.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 04:32 AM   #33
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I doubt Fisher is who pushed the Lakers to the top, nor was his leaving detrimental to the Jazz chances.
I was giving that one a hearty LOL, as well.

let's not get too carried away with Fisher worship.

He is a serviceable guard who is a good teammate and plays hard.

He is no championship puzzle piece.

If Fisher had stayed, what would he be doing for the Jazz, anyway? Eating into Deron's PT? That is NOT a good option.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 04:35 AM   #34
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I was giving that one a hearty LOL, as well.

let's not get too carried away with Fisher worship.

He is a serviceable guard who is a good teammate and plays hard.

He is no championship puzzle piece.

If Fisher had stayed, what would he be doing for the Jazz, anyway? Eating into Deron's PT? That is NOT a good option.
I don't follow the Jazz that closely, but I don't think he'd be cutting into Williams PT, but taking over the backup PG time.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 02:22 PM   #35
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hindering the development of Ronnie Brewer.

I think that is a big reason why Fish wanted out. He knew Williams would be playing 35+ minutes a night, and he was overmatched as a 2-guard trying to guard the Kobe's and T-Macs of the league. And let's be honest... most Jazz fans' beef with him was the fact that he was making something like $7 mil per over the next 3 seasons. You don't pay $7 mil per for a 10 minute a night backup PG, or a guy who is really overmatched as a 2 guard. Most were rightly concerned that having Fisher's K on our roster would hinder us from signing Millsap when his rookie K expires. Now the Jazz look to have two very solid backcourt players for the next few years in Brewer and Williams, and don't have to worry about Fish's ridiculous K. So yes, I do not mind one bit that Fisher is gone. That doesn't mean I can't look at the way that he left and say that IMO it is like something was already in the works when he asked to be let out of his contract. And if that is the case, why would you expect me to respect the man?
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 06:49 PM   #36
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playof...=Fisher-080509

After you read this article, you feel bad that Fisher was booed by Utah fans.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 06:50 PM   #37
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

I've always thought the anti-Fisher sentiment among Jazz fans was more than slightly ridiculous.

-Posters (lots of 'em) constantly complained about how crappy he was and how he was taking time away from developing better options.

-Everyone got what they most wanted - Utah got rid of his contract (without having to take on another worthless player's contract, I might add), and Fisher got to be closer to his family.

-OF COURSE he looked at going back to LAL. It fit with what he wanted - to be closer to family.

I want to quit and go to a new job. Should I quit first, before looking for the new job? What the hell is wrong with him talking to Kobe, and saying "Hey - I really want to go back to LA, especially now that my daughter will be down there for treatments every two weeks. What do you think?" Heaven forbid the poor guy consider his options & talk to friends about it.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 07:05 PM   #38
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
I've always thought the anti-Fisher sentiment among Jazz fans was more than slightly ridiculous.

-Posters (lots of 'em) constantly complained about how crappy he was and how he was taking time away from developing better options.

-Everyone got what they most wanted - Utah got rid of his contract (without having to take on another worthless player's contract, I might add), and Fisher got to be closer to his family.

-OF COURSE he looked at going back to LAL. It fit with what he wanted - to be closer to family.

I want to quit and go to a new job. Should I quit first, before looking for the new job? What the hell is wrong with him talking to Kobe, and saying "Hey - I really want to go back to LA, especially now that my daughter will be down there for treatments every two weeks. What do you think?" Heaven forbid the poor guy consider his options & talk to friends about it.
I think the fanbase suffers from a massive inferiority complex that is resultant from an annual failure to achieve. It is similar to the complex we all share as BYU football fans.

Lashing out at Fisher and pretending that they are offended is simply a convenient way to mask these insecurities.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 07:17 PM   #39
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I think the fanbase suffers from a massive inferiority complex that is resultant from an annual failure to achieve. It is similar to the complex we all share as BYU football fans.

Lashing out at Fisher and pretending that they are offended is simply a convenient way to mask these insecurities.
There's a lot more to it than that. There are a ton more things that contribute to our inferiority complex and insecurity.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 07:25 PM   #40
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:

lol. It is rather humorous, the inferiority complex here. EVERY time someone mentions not being able to land top free-agents, since no one wants to live in Utah, it just makes me laugh...

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote