cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2008, 12:15 AM   #11
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Oh, the level of skill can be truly amazing, but when you only have 1 to 3 goals per game, it's just too susceptible to fluke plays and/or bad officiating.
Not to mention that Europeans (translated as "The French") have no problem with corruption.

Okay, I have no proof of that, but I never miss an opportunity to take a shot at France. There was the scandal in Serie A in '06 that really hurt the league. It's really not surprising that stuff like that happens.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Serie_A_scandal

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 03:07 AM   #12
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Having just played in an adult rec league this spring, I can say that I have a new respect for soccer players. I run 40 miles a week, and by the end of every soccer game, I felt like I was going to puke.

Having said that, it also reinforced my personal belief that it's a stupid game. I hated playing, and couldn't wait for the season to be over.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 03:47 AM   #13
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Having children play it at the club level and watching various levels of play, I enjoy watching it, and their development.

Officiating is the major flaw in soccer. I once complained about scoring but if you watch play development and defensive strategies with excellent technique, then I don't mind it.

The fitness required is amazing.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:39 AM   #14
Hot Lunch

Hot Lunch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post

I'd rather watch Premier League or Serie A soccer than the NBA.
I agree with this. I watched the USA play Argentina Sunday night rather than watch the NBA Finals. Pro soccer outside that is not the MLS is pretty fun to watch.
Hot Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 02:29 PM   #15
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
The whole concept of soccer is boring. A two year old can kick a round ball. What's fun about watching that?
As my son's coach said in his British accent, "Dribble the ball down the court and shoot it through the hoop with your hands? Where's the skill in that?"

It's nice to have Arch, IPU, Jay and Hot Lunch around here to counter-balance the presence of luddites like YOhio, MP and Indy.

Futbol is the beautiful game.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 02:34 PM   #16
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
As my son's coach said in his British accent, "Dribble the ball down the court and shoot it through the hoop with your hands? Where's the skill in that?"

It's nice to have Arch, IPU, Jay and Hot Lunch around here to counter-balance the presence of luddites like YOhio, MP and Indy.

Futbol is the beautiful game.
Before you beat on me too hard, I try to go out of my way to watch USA soccer matches. I'm not a rabid soccer-hater, but it's awfully hard to ignore the serious issues the lack of scoring presents for the sport.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 02:47 PM   #17
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I end up much more pissed at the corrupt stupid reffing in NBA games than I do soccer games.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 03:04 PM   #18
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Before you beat on me too hard, I try to go out of my way to watch USA soccer matches. I'm not a rabid soccer-hater, but it's awfully hard to ignore the serious issues the lack of scoring presents for the sport.
I can appreciate your point of view, but my more intimate association with it now, and many years of watching World Cup has ingrained an appreciation for the skills and strategies. Naturally I would appreciated a few more goals, but many top matches also have that.

Although I tease about baseball, baseball is more boring because two few of the players are involved in the play.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:08 PM   #19
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I can appreciate your point of view, but my more intimate association with it now, and many years of watching World Cup has ingrained an appreciation for the skills and strategies. Naturally I would appreciated a few more goals, but many top matches also have that.

Although I tease about baseball, baseball is more boring because two few of the players are involved in the play.
You are correct when you say that there are few players involved in the play during baseball, though I'd add to that just one word - "There are few players directly involved in the play.

The indirect involvement of the rest of the players is what is difficult for spectators to see.

But back to soccer/calcio/futbol...watching the skill of the players is what I like about it. I've never had a problem with the low scores in the sport, as scoring isn't as easy as we think it should be.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.

Last edited by il Padrino Ute; 06-11-2008 at 07:11 PM.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 07:20 PM   #20
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
You are correct when you say that there are few players involved in the play during baseball, though I'd add to that just one word - "There are few players directly involved in the play.

The indirect involvement of the rest of the players is what is difficult for spectators to see.
The indirect involvement of players not directly involved with a play, which nonetheless can have massive impact on the results of individual plays is definitely one of the things that I enjoy about Baseball. That's why Baseball isn't really the best TV Sport - it's impossible to show all those parts moving on TV.

Soccer seems to me to be the ultimate in 'defensive' sports, IMO, and takes a well-educated fan to really enjoy watching it.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote