cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2008, 06:12 PM   #11
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
The idea that a widespread conspiracy exists in the NBA is as ludicrous as any other silly conspiracy theory. Occam's Razor & the fact that it's nearly impossible to keep large conspiracies secret & all that...
Has it ever been a secret?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 06:53 PM   #12
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Has it ever been a secret?
Indeed - Donaghy is the very first 'insider' to make this claim. The idea that the thousands of refs & other officials previously involved in such a conspiracy would not have let slip previous to this makes the possibility of a wide-spread conspiracy highly unlikely.

A limited conspiracy involving only a few individuals and games would be MUCH more likely, but you're still working on the low end of the probability spectrum.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 07:02 PM   #13
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Indeed - Donaghy is the very first 'insider' to make this claim. The idea that the thousands of refs & other officials previously involved in such a conspiracy would not have let slip previous to this makes the possibility of a wide-spread conspiracy highly unlikely.

A limited conspiracy involving only a few individuals and games would be MUCH more likely, but you're still working on the low end of the probability spectrum.
How about just 12 refs.

That would encompass the last 4 teams. And isn't usually the same guys reffing every year at the end?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 07:22 PM   #14
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
How about just 12 refs.

That would encompass the last 4 teams. And isn't usually the same guys reffing every year at the end?
Do you get bulk discounts from your tinfoil wholesaler?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 07:36 PM   #15
Spaz

Quote:
How about just 12 refs.

Were there only 12 refs involved in the Conference Finals? I would think they'd want at least 6 teams of refs...and 7 would be even better.

I find the idea that a MINIMUM of 13 people involved in this sort of conspiracy, and it not getting out, to be very unlikely. Again, throwing a single game might be feasible, but even then it would probably come out.

No, Occam's Razor certainly applies in this case, and the simplest explanation is Human Failure. Conspiracy requires FAR too many unlikely assumptions.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Old 06-11-2008, 07:44 PM   #16
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Were there only 12 refs involved in the Conference Finals? I would think they'd want at least 6 teams of refs...and 7 would be even better.

I find the idea that a MINIMUM of 13 people involved in this sort of conspiracy, and it not getting out, to be very unlikely. Again, throwing a single game might be feasible, but even then it would probably come out.

No, Occam's Razor certainly applies in this case, and the simplest explanation is Human Failure. Conspiracy requires FAR too many unlikely assumptions.
This is a nice straw man you folks are working on. Who says it has to be league-wide and affect the outcome of every game? If pressure or instructions to the refs from league offices altered the outcome of just one game, then that is very wrong and something worth bitching about.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:45 PM   #17
Spaz

Throw in the fact that Donaghy isn't exactly a reliable source, and I don't think there's a very solid base to argue from.

Old 06-11-2008, 07:50 PM   #18
Spaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
This is a nice straw man you folks are working on. Who says it has to be league-wide and affect the outcome of every game? If pressure or instructions to the refs from league offices altered the outcome of just one game, then that is very wrong and something worth bitching about.
I agree, if even one game was affected by this sort of conspiracy, it's worth the bitching. My argument is that it's unlikely.

A single ref, for personal reasons, for sure has affected games. No one is denying that. It's a problem in EVERY SINGLE SPORT.

The conspiracy of multiple people planning & enacting the outcome of even a single game is highly unlikely. Indeed, the only 'straw man' that's been worked on in this thread is the one you just posted - I've never once said "a conspiracy affecting only one game is no big deal".

Old 06-11-2008, 11:41 PM   #19
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Throw in the fact that Donaghy isn't exactly a reliable source, and I don't think there's a very solid base to argue from.
The Government never uses felons as insiders do they? Heaven forbid if they were ever a reliable and proven source in catching others.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:12 AM   #20
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

This is not hard to imagine, and Donaghy's stopry is not that iunlikely. DOnaghy said that the league would direct ref's attention to certain calls to watch for. IOW< the league office says to the refs in the playoffs "watch for Yao ming's moving screens" or "Tim Hardaway's supposed killer cross-over is really a carry (my personal peeve)" or something like that and so the refs all go out and call thos particualr calls very tightly. Maybe they don't throw the game, but in a close game that is enough to put them over the top.

Besides, did you watch the 2002 game 6 between the Kings and the Lakers? It is easy to see a fix there, a much more overt fix than the one DOnaghy is talking about here. That game looked rigged and just about everybody thought so at the time.