cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2008, 04:45 AM   #11
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Poor Indy. It must really suck to not get over the fact that BYU was Majerus' bitch.
LaVell >> Majerus

I like football more than basketball anyways, so I'm fine with Majerus >>>> Reid.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 05:20 AM   #12
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
LaVell >> Majerus

I like football more than basketball anyways, so I'm fine with Majerus >>>> Reid.
The difference between you and Indy is that you can live with that fact.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 05:22 AM   #13
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

If Majerus had won the NC, then Majerus over Lavell.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 06:28 PM   #14
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Mock draft 7.0 has Plaisted going home to San Antonio at 57.
DrumNFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 10:25 PM   #15
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
If Majerus had won the NC, then Majerus over Lavell.
Here is where I disagree. How many former BYU Football players have nothing but respect for Lavell? How many former Ute basketball players had issues with Majerus? There is no denying Majerus' success as a basketball coach at the U, however, the general respect for Lavell from EVERYBODY (how many people can you think of that don't respect Lavell and what he did?) combined with some of the disdain for Majerus, combined with the way Majerus left and his career shortly after (USC, then not, then St. Louis) further cements Lavell over Majerus IMO.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 10:29 PM   #16
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Here is where I disagree. How many former BYU Football players have nothing but respect for Lavell? How many former Ute basketball players had issues with Majerus? There is no denying Majerus' success as a basketball coach at the U, however, the general respect for Lavell from EVERYBODY (how many people can you think of that don't respect Lavell and what he did?) combined with some of the disdain for Majerus, combined with the way Majerus left and his career shortly after (USC, then not, then St. Louis) further cements Lavell over Majerus IMO.
winning a basketball NC is more impressive than winning a "mythical" football NC.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:02 AM   #17
Clark Addison

Clark Addison is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
winning a basketball NC is more impressive than winning a "mythical" football NC.

So does that mean that Jim Harrick > LaVell?

Obviously Steve Fisher is.
Clark Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 01:06 AM   #18
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Addison View Post
So does that mean that Jim Harrick > LaVell?

Obviously Steve Fisher is.
you have to figure in the school as well. If Fisher takes SDSU to the NC, yes that is stunning and amazing. Majerus took a school in a small state with rural population that had no business being with the big boys, and he almost took it all. That is amazing.
Old 06-27-2008, 04:27 AM   #19
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I am no Majerus defender, but I would say that most, if not all of the players that made it through his program respect Majerus.

Sure, occasionally someone will post on CB that they met Britton or Jeff Johnson in the bathroom of a Wendey's and the Johnsons naturally pour their heart out about how much they wished they'd gone to BYU and how much they hate Majerus to this complete stranger. But other than that, most of the negative remarks about Majerus I've read have come from former players that quit his program...and Gordon Monson.

I think comparing the two is apples/oranges anyway, but I tend to believe that you'd find former Lavell guys that didn't make it through the program that might have a bad thing or two to say about Lavell...that is the nature of being a top notch coach, you can't keep everyone and you can't please everyone.
DrumNFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 12:32 PM   #20
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Did Lavell ever call a deaf player an embarrasment to handicapped people? If he had, then maybe he would have Mike's respect.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote