cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2008, 01:07 PM   #11
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
I don't get the Oklahoma City move either. There are plenty of other cities that could support an NBA team...but why the push for Oklahoma City?
Maybe it has to do with the long-term success seen in smaller markets like Green Bay and Salt Lake City, supporting their one and only team for decades. Same story with remote universities like Nebraska and Penn State. There 'aint much else to do in OKC, so why not fill the arena.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 02:17 PM   #12
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I don't get the Oklahoma City move either. There are plenty of other cities that could support an NBA team...but why the push for Oklahoma City?
IIRC, the owner and his associates are from Oklahoma. Bringing the only pro-sports team to the State of Oklahoma would be a pretty big deal I'd think.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 02:18 PM   #13
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
Bringing the only pro-sports team to the State of Oklahoma would be a pretty big deal I'd think.
On second thought, I forgot about OU Football.

Go Rhett Bomar!!!
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 04:13 PM   #14
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

The NBA is a disgrace. Letting the Sonics leave Seattle is just another in a long line of screw ups by David Stern. He is a terrible commissioner.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 04:39 PM   #15
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

I happily embrace the Sonics departure. This is capitalism and the free market working at its finest.

Any of you so-called fiscal conservatives out there who are opposed to an owner moving his business wherever he sees fit are really liberals in disguise.

Seattle had its chance to keep the team. They were too cheap to pay the price. So they lose.

Tough luck.

Maybe next time they won't be so cheap.

Kudos to the OKC Sonics and best of luck to them in the future.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 04:47 PM   #16
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Ian Furness was just on ESPNews doing his best Stephen A. Smith impression. He called out the owner, former owner, and the mayor of Seattle as "bad guys" and "buffoons." I had forgotten about him until this interview. Perhaps this will help him hit the big time.
DrumNFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 06:48 PM   #17
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I happily embrace the Sonics departure. This is capitalism and the free market working at its finest.

Any of you so-called fiscal conservatives out there who are opposed to an owner moving his business wherever he sees fit are really liberals in disguise.

Seattle had its chance to keep the team. They were too cheap to pay the price. So they lose.

Tough luck.

Maybe next time they won't be so cheap.

Kudos to the OKC Sonics and best of luck to them in the future.
Seattle's chance to keep the team ended the day Schultz sold it. Period.

The NBA said yesterday the Key can work as an NBA arena – if it's renovated. This was NOT an option with the OK group. When they bought the team they said so - give us $500M (for a building) or we're gone. Ballmer said he'd personally pay $350M to upgrade the Key, if he could buy the franchise. They were offered free land and didn't care. They were never going to stay.

The Sonics were gone once that asshat Schultz sold the team.

Quote:
“This is… the free market working at its finest”
So Ballmer can start a team, build his own arena, sign free agents and compete for a NBA title next year? After all it's an free market, right?

I tuned into OK sports radio today and they were so stoked to have the NBA that all of the calls and topics were about OU football.

FYI, the NBA team in OKC will not be called the Sonics.
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 06:58 PM   #18
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ballrollin View Post
Seattle's chance to keep the team ended the day Schultz sold it. Period.

The NBA said yesterday the Key can work as an NBA arena – if it's renovated. This was NOT an option with the OK group. When they bought the team they said so - give us $500M (for a building) or we're gone. Ballmer said he'd personally pay $350M to upgrade the Key, if he could buy the franchise. They were offered free land and didn't care. They were never going to stay.

The Sonics were gone once that asshat Schultz sold the team.

So Ballmer can start a team, build his own arena, sign free agents and compete for a NBA title next year? After all it's an free market, right?

I tuned into OK sports radio today and they were so stoked to have the NBA that all of the calls and topics were about OU football.

FYI, the NBA team in OKC will not be called the Sonics.
Lost in your response is an admission that if Seattle wasnt so cheap, they would still have the Sonics.

Also, why is it the NBA's fault that a private owner sells his team to another private investor and that investor wants to move it? Stop intruding on someone's self-owned business. If he wants to buy it and move it to OKC, then what is the problem? Even if people are talking about the Sooners on the radio?

Free market at its finest.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 07-03-2008, 07:00 PM   #19
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Ian Furness was just on ESPNews doing his best Stephen A. Smith impression. He called out the owner, former owner, and the mayor of Seattle as "bad guys" and "buffoons." I had forgotten about him until this interview. Perhaps this will help him hit the big time.
Ian Furness was solid here in Utah, but for some reason I thought he went to Portland and not Seattle.

Regardless the Sonics moving is a travesty imo.

I also suspect that DDD shed a tear when the Raiders moved to Oakland.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:10 PM   #20
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
Ian Furness was solid here in Utah, but for some reason I thought he went to Portland and not Seattle.

Regardless the Sonics moving is a travesty imo.

I also suspect that DDD shed a tear when the Raiders moved to Oakland.
Hey, I was unhappy, to be sure.

But I never claimed it was "not fair."

LA had the chance to keep the Raiders but they got distracted by a sutpid land grab that is still going on to this very day.

So was I bummed that we lost the Raiders? Sure. Was it "unfair" or was it "the NFL's fault?" No.

Seattle wants to try to paint this as an NBA con job. In reality, Seattle should have agreed to the new ownership's demands and pay for the arena. If they didnt want to pay (which is fine, too), then they should not whine about unfairness. What is really laughable is that Seattle sees that a rich investor with ties to OKC buys their team....and he makes a very clear demand to pay up or else.....so Seattle calls his bluff and then gets burned. What else were they expecting?