cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2008, 04:19 AM   #1
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Usain Bolt

I'm watching the men's qualifying 100 meters. This cat from Jamaica named Usain Bolt just ran a 9.92 and looked like he was out for a leisurely stroll. He was looking left and right for the last 20 meters of the race. No need to go all out in a qualifier I guess, but holy crap that dude is a burner.
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 01:58 PM   #2
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colly Wolly View Post
I'm watching the men's qualifying 100 meters. This cat from Jamaica named Usain Bolt just ran a 9.92 and looked like he was out for a leisurely stroll. He was looking left and right for the last 20 meters of the race. No need to go all out in a qualifier I guess, but holy crap that dude is a burner.
That was quite impressive. I'd bet Jamaica goes 1-2 in the 100.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 06:17 PM   #3
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Spoiler alert!!!!!!!! Fair Warning: stop reading if you don't want to know.

Quote:
Imagine if he had really tried. Pounding his chest, turning up the palms of his outstretched arms, mugging for the cameras before he even crossed the finish line, Usain Bolt rewrote the record books again and captured his first Olympic medal Saturday, toying with the field and running the 100-meter dash in a stunning 9.69 seconds.
That's right he destroyed the field, broke the world record all while trotting the last 7 strides and jerking around for the cameras. It was obvious last night watching the prelims that nobody would touch him but man, why would you not want to run the whole race? Seems a very strange mindset to me. He could have set a record that nobody would touch for a generation.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 06:56 AM   #4
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
Spoiler alert!!!!!!!! Fair Warning: stop reading if you don't want to know.
That's right he destroyed the field, broke the world record all while trotting the last 7 strides and jerking around for the cameras. It was obvious last night watching the prelims that nobody would touch him but man, why would you not want to run the whole race? Seems a very strange mindset to me. He could have set a record that nobody would touch for a generation.
The only thing that I can think of is he was just trying to leave some room for improvement. He's only 21 with a handful of good years in front of him. If he lights it up in 9.59 like Bolden estimates (and I would agree), where does he go from there?

Totally amazing race.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 07:57 AM   #5
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

From what I've heard, those sprinters are terrified of something blowing out, because during many of those lightning sprints they feel their ligaments about to go. And with many of them competing in multiple medal events a la Michael Phelps, they don't want one particular race to become an all-or-nothing.

In 1996, I remember Michael Johnson similarly "slowing down" during heat after heat. During his famous 200, when he dropped a 19.32, he had a slight stumble at the start, so then he gave it his all for the entire race because he was afraid of finishing below 20.00.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 01:18 PM   #6
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
The only thing that I can think of is he was just trying to leave some room for improvement. He's only 21 with a handful of good years in front of him. If he lights it up in 9.59 like Bolden estimates (and I would agree), where does he go from there?

Totally amazing race.
I told Gidget last night that if Bolt gets into the 9.5 territory which I think is more than likely (probably could have had he not started celebrating with 20m left), that nobody else will touch that record for a long time. That dude is a freak. Someone needs to teach him how to catch and send him on fly patterns down the sidelines.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 01:30 PM   #7
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post

Totally amazing race.
Nah. I think he was just showing off. Cocky young kid.

Mind-blowing race, but it's a shame we won't know what he could have done.
Old 08-17-2008, 03:21 PM   #8
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Was anyone else annoyed by all the mugging afterwards? Too much showboating afterwards, a la the US team in Sydney.

I also got a kick out of the women's marathon winner. It seemed like she kept doing victory laps for about 20 minutes after she won the thing. The cameras would cut to other events, then come back to the women's marathon and you would see that woman in the background, running somewhere with her flag.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 03:42 PM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

he has an incentive not to break the world record in devastating fashion. because when he goes to the European meets, he will be paid to break the world record.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 06:29 PM   #10
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
he has an incentive not to break the world record in devastating fashion. because when he goes to the European meets, he will be paid to break the world record.
That would explain it.