cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2007, 05:01 AM   #1
DirtyHippieUTE

DirtyHippieUTE is on a distinguished road
Default Lawyers on the board...

Just a quick poll... What kind of law do you practice?

I'm graduating in May and I figure it's about time I start thinking about what I'm gonna' do with my pretty piece of paper and my very expensive brain.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:12 AM   #2
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

A good second question would be, what field did you specialize in during law school, and what field do you actually practice now? I'm told the two are rarely the same. People have to take whatever job they can find.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 05:37 AM   #3
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll tell you what kind of law I practice, but first you have to answer my quiz to see how well you paid attention in law school.

1. Describe the Erie Doctrine w/o googling
2. Who is Lady Duff Gordon?
3. Why does cougjunkie love the holding in Lawrence v. Texas?
4. What happened in Palsgraf v. Long Island?
5. What's the difference b/w reversion and reverter?
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 05:48 AM   #4
DirtyHippieUTE

DirtyHippieUTE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Federal courts have to apply state law.
Quote:
Some stupid designer who did something stupid in contracts class. I think it had to do with some kind of exclusive thing.
Quote:
Cuz junkie LOVES his sodomy.
Quote:
RR employee knocks a passenger's package of fireworks on to the track, fireworks explode, lady across the room tries to sue because a scale fell on her (you can't make this kind of crap up).
Quote:
Stumped... I know what a reversion interest is and a right of reverter but I don't know exactly how to articulate the difference. (you said I couldn't google).
Old 09-13-2007, 05:59 AM   #5
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

#5 is a trick question.

Reversion is what a reverter does.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 06:28 AM   #6
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I'll tell you what kind of law I practice, but first you have to answer my quiz to see how well you paid attention in law school.

1. State substantive/federal procedural

2. Cosmetics queen who had something to do with a promoter contract? or something like that.

3. COugjunkie always thought that Bowers v. Hardwick was draconian. Besides what if states came up with laws forbidding floating? At least now we have Lawrence v. Texas.

4. Holmes and Judge Andrews got into a pissing match and gave us proximate cause.

5. I'd rather talk about the difference between perversion and perverter, but IIRC, reversion is retained by O and happens automatically upon some event, reverter must be exercised by O. (I suck at property).

That is the non-google version. And the post-bar I forgot everything I ever learned version.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 11:49 AM   #7
nikuman

nikuman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
1. State substantive/federal procedural

2. Cosmetics queen who had something to do with a promoter contract? or something like that.

3. COugjunkie always thought that Bowers v. Hardwick was draconian. Besides what if states came up with laws forbidding floating? At least now we have Lawrence v. Texas.

4. Holmes and Judge Andrews got into a pissing match and gave us proximate cause.

5. I'd rather talk about the difference between perversion and perverter, but IIRC, reversion is retained by O and happens automatically upon some event, reverter must be exercised by O. (I suck at property).

That is the non-google version. And the post-bar I forgot everything I ever learned version.
Man, you guys paid far too much attention in law school. I would have got #3 right, but only because CJ is that kind of a guy.
nikuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 01:27 PM   #8
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

I try to make more money than it costs to run the business. I once tried to make more money than my wife can spend, but soon lost that battle.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:48 PM   #9
landpoke

landpoke is on a distinguished road
Default Not a lawyer per se, but I did drink my way through law school. Even have the

sheepskin to prove it. Which I know has a double meaning. That being said, I'd highly recommend getting into the oil and gas field. Not in a nikuman, rape the poor struggling oil and gas company with outrageous billable hours kind of way but as a landman. Real people doing real work, for America. Not effete, east coast ivory tower, mocking salt of the earth middle America working folk from the back seat of your Bentley type stuff at all.
landpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 02:18 PM   #10
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Very nice work fellas. I love the shared memory of crappy casebook readings.

Now, back to the original question. I currently work as counsel for a research firm that primarily works with the military. I got this job about three months out of law school and I've been here for a year. I am one of two attorney's in our office.

I really enjoy my job, but there are a few negatives to not working in a firm prior to working in-house. For instance, I haven't received the trial by fire that working for a firm would provide. While most associates likely detest their first few years of firm life, it does provide invaluable experience in understanding the practical dealings within the legal system. Things like billing time, writing motions, attending depositions, appearing at hearings before a judge, understanding procedure, and intensive case research. I won't have that experience. If I ever decide to give firm life a try, I'll be at a decided disadvantage. My writing skills are also not nearly as strong as an attorney in a firm.

Some of the positives are obvious. I'm able to work a fairly reasonable schedule. I've had a few 70 hour weeks and I have to travel a little more than most new attorneys, but in general I work a 40-45 hour week. One thing I particularly enjoy is that I get a nice sampling of different areas of law; HR/employment; Federal Acquisition Regs; Grant Law; telecommunications; property; IP; basic contrac and corporate matters. I work quite a bit with outside counsel and my boss, so there is a safety net when I screw up and I have a lot of interaction with excellent attorneys from around the country. I do get paid well, but there is a lower ceiling for corporate counsel than there would be for an attorney who is on a partner track.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote