cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2008, 07:53 PM   #1
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road
Default a cure for autism

From Jenny McCarthy no less:
Jenny McCarthy has become an outspoken advocate for autism awareness, often courting controversy along the way (doctors have accused her of creating fear of necessary vaccines). She's the bestselling author of five books, including her newest, Mother Warriors: A Nation of Parents Healing Autism Against All Odds. She's also constantly researching on sites like like AgeofAutism.com and GenerationRescue.org
"I made a deal with God," she explains. "I said, 'You fix my boy, you show me the way and I'll teach the world how I did it.'"

Wow.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 07:54 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
From Jenny McCarthy no less:
Jenny McCarthy has become an outspoken advocate for autism awareness, often courting controversy along the way (doctors have accused her of creating fear of necessary vaccines). She's the bestselling author of five books, including her newest, Mother Warriors: A Nation of Parents Healing Autism Against All Odds. She's also constantly researching on sites like like AgeofAutism.com and GenerationRescue.org
"I made a deal with God," she explains. "I said, 'You fix my boy, you show me the way and I'll teach the world how I did it.'"

Wow.
Jenny,when you are ready to start the teaching, so am I.

Signed,
Hugh Hefner
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 07:55 PM   #3
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Jenny,when you are ready to start the teaching, so am I.

Signed,
Hugh Hefner
check out the second picture of the kid. He knows where the goods are at:

Old 10-16-2008, 07:59 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

The idea that you are an expert because you have done this or that to cure your son of autism is very attractive and ego-building. It's not science and often there is money involved--money going to this expert.

That's all I am going to say.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 08:21 PM   #5
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
The idea that you are an expert because you have done this or that to cure your son of autism is very attractive and ego-building.
Incredibly self-righteous and irresponsible. Apparently the American Academy of Pediatrics has been asking her to stop her ongoing public service announcement.

In unrelated news, the incidence of measles is at its highest in ages.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:41 PM   #6
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Incredibly self-righteous and irresponsible. Apparently the American Academy of Pediatrics has been asking her to stop her ongoing public service announcement.

Hmm. Terrible waste of a bod.... I mean mind.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:28 PM   #7
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Pertussis is on the rise in North Texas, Pediatricians are seeing 3 or 4 cases a week when they used to see one every few months or so. It's potentially dangerous for newborns.
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 12:31 AM   #8
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarrahWaters View Post
Pertussis is on the rise in North Texas, Pediatricians are seeing 3 or 4 cases a week when they used to see one every few months or so. It's potentially dangerous for newborns.
We've had lots of whooping cough out here.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:30 PM   #9
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

I could go on for hours about autism. The biggest problem is that the autism spectrum covers the distance from LA to DC. Kids that are full blown autistic are labeled as being on the spectrum and kids that are simply slow to speak are on the spectrum. So, you get a kid that is a slow speaker and not very social at age 2...and he goes to preschool and they work on his speech, and he starts to become social (in other words, he starts growing up), and they say "Its a success, he had autism but now he is normal just like other kids."

You don't cure full blown autism. Kids that truly autistic when they are 2, will be truly autistic when they are 30. Kids that are on the spectrum when they are 2 because of speech issues, will not necessarily be on any spectrum when they are 30.

I really feel it is a disservice to parents of kids that have autism to hear of others talk about how their kids are cured now because they eat better or because they have a teacher that talks to them. There is a HUGE difference between being on one end of the spectrum (mild or no autism but perceived as such) and being on the other end with a kid that truly has autism.

Jenny McCarthy has done great things in getting autism out there and discussing it and she has hurt the cause with her solutions as well. anyway, I'll be quiet now.

Goatnapper: "UteStar is the only one who is not scum."
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote