cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2007, 06:48 PM   #11
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
The father of a fetus can request that the mother have an abortion. If she refuses, then he is not responsible for child support.

If it is within the first trimester.

If it can be proven that the mother knew of her pregnancy, and knew who the father was, and chose not to reveal this to the father within the first trimester, he is not responsible for child support.

Shouldn't men have the right to destroy life as much as women?
I like it. Let's see if we can slip mandatory breast augmentation into the bill at the last minute.
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 07:10 PM   #12
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you related to Goatnapper?
Old 04-13-2007, 08:24 PM   #13
BlueHair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Are you related to Goatnapper?
I might be. I don't know his true identity.

Honestly, I'm a pro-choicer so I don't think a guy gets a say in the pregnancy. There really isn't a way to make it fair for both parties. If a guy could demand an abortion, the expectant mother should be able to demand a vasectomy for the man. It's hard to force an elective surgery on someone. I know Mike was being facetious, but I thought I'd play along for fun.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:54 PM   #14
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHair View Post
I might be. I don't know his true identity.

Honestly, I'm a pro-choicer so I don't think a guy gets a say in the pregnancy. There really isn't a way to make it fair for both parties. If a guy could demand an abortion, the expectant mother should be able to demand a vasectomy for the man. It's hard to force an elective surgery on someone. I know Mike was being facetious, but I thought I'd play along for fun.
to me, it seems odd for a guy to have no say but all the obligations of support, that is all.

If women have total say in whether to keep the child or not, then they should be liable for support. I could see that as a valid social policy which will never happen. Why should you have a financial obligation without a voice?
Old 04-13-2007, 09:31 PM   #15
BlueHair

Quote:
to me, it seems odd for a guy to have no say but all the obligations of support, that is all.

If women have total say in whether to keep the child or not, then they should be liable for support. I could see that as a valid social policy which will never happen. Why should you have a financial obligation without a voice?
I agree it's not fair. I would hate to be the guy in that position.

Some people believe that abortion is murder, so you would be asking her to either commit murder or pay for the "mistake" alone. Not a great option. There is probably a reasonable solution, but I don't think that's it. Maybe something like equal custody with no child support if the baby is born. Even that isn't fair though.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:32 PM   #16
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
The father of a fetus can request that the mother have an abortion. If she refuses, then he is not responsible for child support.

If it is within the first trimester.

If it can be proven that the mother knew of her pregnancy, and knew who the father was, and chose not to reveal this to the father within the first trimester, he is not responsible for child support.

Shouldn't men have the right to destroy life as much as women?
What do we do about the underlying problem that 99.9% of men who get a woman pregnant and claim to want the kid really in their heart of hearts just want to have the occasional quality time with the little tykes if scrubbed appropriately and in good health, but otherwise have better things to do? Not to mention, what about that it's the woman who has to put her life on the line and do often lasting damage to her body regardless of the outcome?

Don't these factors justify giving women disproportionate say in the decision?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 09:35 PM   #17
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
What do we do about the underlying problem that 99.9% of men who get a woman pregnant and claim to want the kid really in their heart of hearts just want to have the occasional quality time with the little tykes if scrubbed appropriately and in good health, but otherwise have better things to do? Not to mention, what about that it's the woman who has to put her life on the line and do often lasting damage to her body regardless of the outcome?

Don't these factors justify giving women disproportionate say in the decision?
Disproportionate voice makes sense, no voice but equal if not superior financial obligation does not.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:14 PM   #18
BlueHair

Quote:
Disproportionate voice makes sense, no voice but equal if not superior financial obligation does not.
I'm not sure about the superior finacial obligation part. A friend of mine pays $500 per month for child support. That's a car payment. The mother is the custodial parent. If she wanted to have the spare time that he has, she couldn't buy it for the $500 he gives her. I don't have a lot of knowledge of what the average person pays per kid, but $500 doesn't seem like much.