cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2007, 10:26 PM   #1
nikuman

nikuman is on a distinguished road
Default A Dog Question

Sorry to interrupt the more serious regularly schedule programming, but I am looking for some advice on dogs. Many of you know that we lost a daughter a while back, and it's been hard - like you'd expect - on my second oldest daughter, who was about a year and a half younger.

So we're looking at getting a dog to at least help with the companionship part of the deal. Here's some info:

1. We need at least a medium sized dog. No dachshunds, etc.

2. We have a high aversion to shedding.

3. Normal backyard, but my wife would probably go jogging with it.

4. Small kids abound, so nothing mean (although big is okay).

5. Could be both an indoor or outdoor dog.

We're looking, preliminarily (and I realize that this represents two nearly opposite ends of the size spectrum) at either a beagle or a Great Dane. Any other breeds we should consider? Or any inputs on the two I listed? We plan to raise it from a puppy, prefer a neutered male, willing to pay for obedience school, etc.
nikuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 10:29 PM   #2
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikuman View Post
Sorry to interrupt the more serious regularly schedule programming, but I am looking for some advice on dogs. Many of you know that we lost a daughter a while back, and it's been hard - like you'd expect - on my second oldest daughter, who was about a year and a half younger.

So we're looking at getting a dog to at least help with the companionship part of the deal. Here's some info:

1. We need at least a medium sized dog. No dachshunds, etc.

2. We have a high aversion to shedding.

3. Normal backyard, but my wife would probably go jogging with it.

4. Small kids abound, so nothing mean (although big is okay).

5. Could be both an indoor or outdoor dog.

We're looking, preliminarily (and I realize that this represents two nearly opposite ends of the size spectrum) at either a beagle or a Great Dane. Any other breeds we should consider? Or any inputs on the two I listed? We plan to raise it from a puppy, prefer a neutered male, willing to pay for obedience school, etc.
I have a pomeranian, shitzu, poodle, terrier mix. They specifically breed them like that, he weighs about 18 lbs. Is the perfect dog. Not to big, not to small (although he was very small as a puppy). My wife jogs with him, and he loves our daugther and plays with her for hours.

He is black nad his name is leroy.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:48 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I would suggest a labradoodle (lab + standard poodle mix). You get the pleasant eager to please personality of a lab with the non-shedding of a poodle.

I've always liked standard poodles, they are kind of freaking looking.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 11:00 PM   #4
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikuman View Post
You do not want a beagle. I lived next to one once and it howled incessantly. It was a horrible dog. Great Danes are just too big and slobbery.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 11:05 PM   #5
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Our neighbors have a golden retriever. A wonderful dog. Medium-sized. Intelligent. Playful.

I like Jack Russell Terriers also, but they are pretty small.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:24 PM   #6
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

For kids, you can never go wrong with a lab and they are good dogs for your wife to take jogging. No shedding problems either.

German Shorthairs are great dogs too.

Rottweilers are another great choice and the best for your wife to take running. They are gentle with kids and protective of their owners. With a dog like a Rottie, you have to let it know you are the boss and it will be a very loyal and great family pet.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 11:40 PM   #7
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
For kids, you can never go wrong with a lab and they are good dogs for your wife to take jogging. No shedding problems either.
Hard to go wrong with a lab. Fantastic family dogs. Heck, nik, you even met ours at the Tulsa tailgate.
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote