cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2006, 05:20 PM   #1
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A question for scientist types...

My wife asked me a question today for which I did not know the answer. She asked, "Hypothetically, if all the clocks in the world simultaneously stopped for a period of time, how would we know what the actual time was when the clocks restarted again. Is there a way to determine the actual time based on scientific formulas, or would we just have to guess at what the actual time is and then get everyone in the world agree to that time?" This quandry might keep up tonight.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 05:27 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Time

Quote:
One can measure time based on the rotation of the Earth by observing celestial bodies crossing the meridian every day. Astronomers have preferred observing meridian crossings of stars over observations of the Sun, because these are more accurate. Nowadays, UT in relation to International Atomic Time (TAI) is determined by Very Long Baseline Interferometry (VLBI) observations of distant quasars, a method which has an accuracy of micro-seconds. Most sources of time and celestial coordinate system standards use UT1 as the default meaning of UT, though occasionally UTC may be implied.

The rotation of the Earth and UT are monitored by the International Earth Rotation and Reference Systems Service (IERS). The International Astronomical Union is also involved in setting standards, but the final arbiter of broadcast standards is the International Telecommunication Union or "ITU."

The rotation of the Earth is somewhat irregular; also the length of the day very gradually increases due to tidal acceleration. Furthermore, the length of the second is based on its conventional length as determined from observations of the Moon between 1750 and 1890. This also causes the mean solar day, on the average, to now extend longer than the nominal 86,400 SI seconds. As UT is slightly irregular in its rate, astronomers introduced Ephemeris Time, which has since been replaced by Terrestrial Time (TT). However, because Universal Time is synchronous with night and day, and more precise atomic-frequency standards drift away from this, UT is still used to produce a correction called leap seconds to atomic time to obtain a broadcast form of civil time that carries atomic frequency. Thus, civil broadcast standards for time and frequency are a compromise that usually follows, with an offset found from the total of all leap seconds, International Atomic Time (TAI), but occasionally jumps in order to prevent it from drifting too far from mean solar time. Terrestrial Time is TAI + 32.184 s.

Barycentric Dynamical Time (TDB), a form of atomic time, is now used in the construction of the ephemerides of the planets and other solar system objects, for two main reasons. For one thing, these ephemerides are tied to optical and radar observations of planetary motion, and the TDB time scale is fitted so that Newton's laws of motion, with corrections for general relativity, are followed. For another, the time scales based on Earth's rotation are not uniform, so are not suitable for predicting the motion of solar system objects.

In 1928 the term Universal Time was adopted internationally as a more precise term than Greenwich Mean Time, because the GMT could refer to either an astronomical day starting at noon or a civil day starting at midnight. However, the term Greenwich Mean Time persists in common usage to this day in reference to civil timekeeping.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 05:29 PM   #3
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur
My wife asked me a question today for which I did not know the answer. She asked, "Hypothetically, if all the clocks in the world simultaneously stopped for a period of time, how would we know what the actual time was when the clocks restarted again. Is there a way to determine the actual time based on scientific formulas, or would we just have to guess at what the actual time is and then get everyone in the world agree to that time?" This quandry might keep up tonight.
There a number of ways you could figure out how much time had passed:

1) Status of numerous kinetically-based chemical reactions.

2) Rotation of the earth

3) Movement/location of planets

etc.

Sleep easy, friend.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:05 PM   #4
non sequitur

When I read stuff like that, it makes me feel dumm.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
Old 08-25-2006, 06:08 PM   #5
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
Works for me. I think Astronomers would be able to set their clocks based on the position of the sun/stars.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:15 PM   #6
non sequitur

Okay, here's another question: How did we get everbody in the world to agree on the same standards for measuring time? Were there initially some holdouts who rejected the whole second/minute/hour measurement?
Old 08-25-2006, 07:00 PM   #7
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur
Okay, here's another question: How did we get everbody in the world to agree on the same standards for measuring time? Were there initially some holdouts who rejected the whole second/minute/hour measurement?
Not sure about that particular question, but I would like to recommend "The Discoverers" by Daniel J. Boorstin.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/039...906320?ie=UTF8

The first part of this book documents the history of clocks, time-keeping, etc. Fascinating book.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:19 PM   #8
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

lol...maybe I'm just wired differently, but is this stuff that you guys really think about?
Old 08-26-2006, 07:57 AM   #9
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa
lol...maybe I'm just wired differently, but is this stuff that you guys really think about?
I think about how slow time is, no matter how it's measured, while sitting in Sacrament Meeting on Dry Council Sunday.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote