cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2008, 09:56 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default An interesting Interview

So a friend consulted me, and I'll save what I stated, regarding this interesting interview:

Quote:
After waiting 40 mins in the foyer, entered the room holding the book I was reading while waiting for interview. MMM by Juanita Brooks.

A counselor in the Stake Presidency, President Xantas first concern was to see which author I was reading. He seemed relieved I was reading Juanita Brooks (JB), because he was acquainted with her career as a history professor at Dixie College.

I commented it was a shame the church treated her so poorly after she published her book. Xantas's response was something to the effect the church is run by men and men are not perfect.

After Xantas attempted to tutor me on the workings of the Holy Ghost, which later in the interview produced some interesting irony, he began asking the temple interview questions.
Following my appropriate response to the inquiry regarding my loyalty to the church and whether I was sympathetic to any apostate ideology, he asked a follow-up question: "Do you know or do you associate with any apostates?"

Although I have a 30 year association with one of my university professors who happens to be an apostate, and my brother, Juan Valdez, is also an apostate, I interpreted his question to be inquiring as to my current activities and whether or not I was actively participating in an ongoing curiosity or investigation of apostate thought. Xantas moved on to the next question after I assured him I wasn't conspiring with the unwashed and nothing I might read (in light of the unfolding presidential races) could in any way affect my fierce testimony.

When Xantas asked if I was honest in all my dealings with my fellow man, I responded, "As best as I can." Apparently it wasn't the answer he wanted. He opined that my choice of words was curious and he wondered why I could not answer the question more affirmatively. I explained it was sort of like asking someone if they lie. As disciples we try "as best as we can" to be truthful. We should be able to avoid the patently deceptive and deceitful lie, but, as natural men, we are not perfect, perhaps a little like that lack of perfection which visited Juanita Brooks.

The question asks for a subjective analysis. I explained, honesty in complex fact patterns which have legal implications can be open to varying interpretations. What one person might consider an honest act, another might see as disingenuous, and therefore, dishonest. He said, "I'm not asking you how others might view your honesty. I'm asking you if you are honest in all your dealings?" Once again, my answer was, "As best as I can."

He then said, "Let me put it this way, if Christ were to ask you if you are honest in all your dealings with your fellow man, how would you answer?" I said, "If Christ were sitting where you are He would not have to ask the question." His discomfort with my answer was obvious.

Finishing up with the interview questions, he asked if I felt I was worthy in every way to enter the temple. I responded, "ABSOLUTELY!" He said, "Now that was an interesting answer. You did not hesitate and you were certain of your answer. Let me ask you again, are you honest in your dealings with your fellow man?"

"As best as I can" I responded.

He then concluded the interview, indicating he was not going to sign the temple recommend and that he needed "...some time to think about it."
And no Rocky this was not me, and you might be surprised what my response was.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:02 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

It is for reasons like these that one should always give the canned answer, and not the thoughtful nuanced one.

I learned this lesson eons ago.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:13 PM   #3
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
So a friend consulted me, and I'll save what I stated, regarding this interesting interview:

It sounds like the dude is a bit of an arrogant dick, and the MOTSP probably should have just signed the recommend but he is probably upset his time was wasted and a bit bitter.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:28 PM   #4
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Oh my. How could the SP argue with that response? Amazing.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:36 PM   #5
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
It sounds like the dude is a bit of an arrogant dick, and the MOTSP probably should have just signed the recommend but he is probably upset his time was wasted and a bit bitter.
I know him he's not bitter, so I don't see how you make that interpretation from the interview.

Without stating what my commentary was, I've answered that question similarly to how my friend did, and the bishops performing the interview agreed that my answer was indeed the proper one.

I remember Bishops stating in response to my,"I sure try but perhaps I'm not as honest as I should be, after all I am a lawyer."

To which one thoughtful bishop added, "yeah, that's a tough one, a guy tries, but perhaps you don't always succeed."
Old 01-17-2008, 10:39 PM   #6
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I know him he's not bitter, so I don't see how you make that interpretation from the interview.

Without stating what my commentary was, I've answered that question similarly to how my friend did, and the bishops performing the interview agreed that my answer was indeed the proper one.

I remember Bishops stating in response to my,"I sure try but perhaps I'm not as honest as I should be, after all I am a lawyer."

To which one thoughtful bishop added, "yeah, that's a tough one, a guy tries, but perhaps you don't always succeed."
Anyone who would answer "I am perfectly honest" has just lied.

Perhaps one could reply "I am as honest as the folks in CES." Or "I am as honest as the Church History Dept". On second thought, that probably wouldn't go over too well.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:45 PM   #7
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

I think what got the MOTSP bitter was the line about what if Christ were sitting here. The dude outsmarted him and it made him bitter.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:46 PM   #8
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Was this recent or was it from some years ago? Only asking because the final question about "Do you feel worthy..." no longer has the "in every way" part. "In every way" was taken out a few years back.

I've asked the "Are you honest..." question in TR interviews before. The people that give the "thoughtful nuanced answer" are a dime a dozen. After asking the question a hundred times, you get tired of hearing the thoughtful nuance. The question is "Are you". It's a yes or no question. It doesn't make one look more thoughtful to say "As best I can" - as if that person was the first person to ever think about what it really means to be honest. Everyone has to think about it. Everyone has to use their nuanced thought process to arrive at the determination that they are or aren't honest in their dealings. Answering "I try to be" or "as best I can" adds no value - it buys you nothing and contributes nothing. In my opinion, the "I try to be" type of answer is just a cop out.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:51 PM   #9
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

The counselor probably shouldn't have pushed the issue, but the interviewee was being just as much of a jerk. Sounds like two idiots swapping power plays to me.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:58 PM   #10
Clark Addison

Clark Addison is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
I've asked the "Are you honest..." question in TR interviews before. The people that give the "thoughtful nuanced answer" are a dime a dozen. After asking the question a hundred times, you get tired of hearing the thoughtful nuance. The question is "Are you". It's a yes or no question. It doesn't make one look more thoughtful to say "As best I can" - as if that person was the first person to ever think about what it really means to be honest. Everyone has to think about it. Everyone has to use their nuanced thought process to arrive at the determination that they are or aren't honest in their dealings. Answering "I try to be" or "as best I can" adds no value - it buys you nothing and contributes nothing. In my opinion, the "I try to be" type of answer is just a cop out.

I disagree with that. I usually don't give a straight "Yes" to that question, not because I am trying to appear anything to anyone, but because I am trying to answer as honestly as I can. I try very hard to be honest in all my dealings, and usually I succeed, but there are times when I don't. How is it a cop out to admit to that?

I'm surprised at the response in the OP. As BFM has said, this isn't uncommon, and I've certainly never had anyone question my answer to this question.
Clark Addison is offline   Reply With Quote