cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2006, 03:52 PM   #1
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Adam/God, Tree of life.....

Last night I was watching the Discovery channel, and some scientists were dating trees. They were showing that they could, by the rings of the tree, determine how long a fire had passed through the area, how old the tree was, etc....

I began thinking about the rings of a tree, and the Tree of Life discussion here came to mind....

If the Tree of Life represents God's love, and God's love is the atonement, and if the atonement provides for us eternal life, does the tree not represent in part eternal life? If it does, is there a reason the Lord, prophets, etc, use a tree as a symbolic form of eternal life? Could if be the rings of a tree, represent the rings of eternal progression? That at root we are essentially the same person, but we need many rounds of progression to create a tree that itself produces the fruits of eternal life? So we start off as saplings, we grow, with each ring, or eternal round, and one day, we are big enough, strong enough, to individually produce, or atone for a group of people?

Thought it might be applicable to our Adam/God discussion...
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 04:02 PM   #2
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

I think someday we are going to get to the spirit world and realize there was symbolism on everything on earth, even dendrochronology.

I recently learned the legend of the dogwood tree, for example. They say originally its buds sprouted in different colors, but that since the crucifixion, the ungrafted dogwood has only budded in the color white, and its trunk will not grow to be wider than the width of the cross. Legend is the cross was made from dogwood.

Photo of a dogwood:
http://www.manchestercameraclub.org/...gwood_tree.jpg
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 07:11 PM   #3
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Furthermore....

Roots = our Gods....

The tree = us individually....

The rings of a tree's life = the rounds of spiritual progression....

The fruit the tree one day bears = our ability to atone and become a God...

The life of a tree it's growth = our progression, and the progression of our Gods as they progress with our progression....

So the roots, or our God, is underground in essence, shielded from the world, or from our view. The tree becomes open and vulnerable to the ills and good of the world. As we are in this life. The roots provide a primary source of noursihment and stability to the tree as God should provide for us.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote