cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you use the word mulatto?
No, it is old and outdated, only someone like exute would choose to 15 62.50%
No, it is offensive 3 12.50%
Yes, I think it is great 1 4.17%
No, but I see nothing wrong with it 5 20.83%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-02-2008, 04:25 AM   #21
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
This is gibberish. I don't know what you're saying. Regardless, mulatto is like "negro," totally inappropriate. Who has called Obama that? I don't care what your google search turns up. Anyway, you're from lilly white northern Virginia, George Allen country, not DC. I venture I'm the only one here who's lived in DC for any appreciable time, except maybe Requiem. What you prove is that ceratin people live in a cocoon no matter where they are.
As an aside, while we're on the subject of things you don't know the first thing about, George Allen is not from Northern Virginia. He never lived in Virginia until he came to UVA and that is the area where his political career began, in Charlottesville. For anyone keep score, Charlottesville is not remotely Northern Virginia.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:34 AM   #22
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

There is a couple in my ward, wife is half-black. Funny thing is that the wife was asked by more than one sister in the ward if her husband was half-black as well.

Guy has dark brown hair wavy hair cut short, but he's as white as you can get. Hilarious. It's like they can't wrap their minds around the idea that a white man would marry a "mulatto".

Per my wife, the wife says she has been asked that by many Mormons over the years.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 04:40 AM   #23
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
There is a couple in my ward, wife is half-black. Funny thing is that the wife was asked by more than one sister in the ward if her husband was half-black as well.

Guy has dark brown hair wavy hair cut short, but he's as white as you can get. Hilarious. It's like they can't wrap their minds around the idea that a white man would marry a "mulatto".

Per my wife, the wife says she has been asked that by many Mormons over the years.
It is nearly impossible to find a "black" person who doesn't also have white people in their family tree, unless they or their parents are immigrants. If you have spent any time around blacks (maybe you have) it is also interesting to note how ones relative "blackness" (literally how dark you are) can effect your standing among other blacks. I had a black colleague who discussed this with me at length. Very interesting.

Since I understand mulatto to describe half black and half white, and since that doesn't much exist any more, perhaps that explains in part why it has fallen out of use. The term quadroon, for example, is a term I have only ever seen in print and not ever heard spoken.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:37 PM   #24
bigpiney

bigpiney
Send a message via AIM to bigpiney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
I prefer half-breed.
actually I believe Oreo is the generally accepted term. but then again...

With the lights out its less dangerous
Here we are now
Entertain us
I feel stupid and contagious
Here we are now
Entertain us
A mulatto
An albino
A mosquito
My libido
bigpiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 05:50 PM   #25
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:

Thanks, Estelle. Was hoping you would dig up an anecdote.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 05:51 PM   #26
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpiney View Post
actually I believe Oreo is the generally accepted term. but then again...

With the lights out its less dangerous
Here we are now
Entertain us
I feel stupid and contagious
Here we are now
Entertain us
A mulatto
An albino
A mosquito
My libido
Holy crap! Is this deliberate? I haven't seen such blatant hacking since Matthew Broderick set his eyes on Protovision in Sunnyvale, CA.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 08:10 PM   #27
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default OK for all you PC folks.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
Until exUte, the only instance outside of old literature where I've heard/read the term came from Woody Allen. He explained that the reason he's a decent jazz clarinetist is because he's mulatto, with a black mother and white father, and vice versa. But I think he said that 30+ years ago, and I suspect he has retired the joke.
Obama is bi-racial. Why do they refer to him as African American? The same label they assign to people who's parents are both black?
Old 09-02-2008, 08:12 PM   #28
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default I call BS

Quote:

on 'has been asked that by MANY mormons'. Just another convenient story. Are you related to Paul H Dunn?
Old 09-02-2008, 08:16 PM   #29
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by exUte View Post
on 'has been asked that by MANY mormons'. Just another convenient story. Are you related to Paul H Dunn?
give me your phone number and I will have her call you.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote