cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2006, 08:42 PM   #1
The Borg

The Borg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Saddle Recommendations for Century Rides

Ok...just bought a Trek 5000 for Christmas. In all the reviews I've read on it...it seems the saddle is not the greatest.

For century rides (what I like to do and gear up for)...what is a saddle that anyone could recommend that is a nice, comfortable saddle.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by The Borg; 12-08-2006 at 09:24 PM.
The Borg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 10:51 PM   #2
mtnbiker310

mtnbiker310

The answer to that question is obviously a fairly personal one. ;-) As in, it varies from person to person. Do you just want to know what saddle everyone rides? I like the size & shape of the Selle Italia Flite Gel. However, I think they've changed the gel placement since I got mine. I recently got a Selle Italia SLR XC Gel Flow for my mtn bike, and it's firm, but comfortable, although I haven't taken it on any epic rides yet.

Years ago I tried some other saddles that had the 'safety' cut-out, and they either felt like I was riding on a brick or directly on the rails. Ouch. I trust they've fixed those problems on newer models.
mtnbiker310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 04:25 AM   #3
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

I currently ride a Sella Italia Trans Am Gel saddle. Not for any particular reason - its what came on the bike when I bought it. I put quite a few miles on it, as I also ride centuries for the most part.

Another friend found that a WTB saddle was the only thing that was rideable for him. I'm not exactly sure what everyone else is riding on - they're all usually too far ahead of me to see the lettering says on the seat.

Finding a good seat is tough, as the only real way to find what works for you is to buy one and hope for the best.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 12:52 AM   #4
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

I use a Brooks and love it.