cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2007, 03:55 AM   #1
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Did Lehi and family really make it the Americas?

I've been considering Adam's point about this revision to the Book of Mormon Introductoin, and what it means, exposing the fallibility of prophets, and I'm carrying Adam's point to its logical conclusion. How do we even know Lehi and family even came to the Americas? Because the Prophets, the Intoduction, and the footnotes have said so? Pffft. They have no credibility any more. I want to know where in the Book of Mormon it says the Lehis came to America. It doesn't. I think this is an open question now.

Here are some possibilities I've been considering. Maybe they landed on the south shore of Gaul, around present day Cannes, and migrated northward. Could the Lamanites be the European aborigines that Caesar found, the Celts? Maybe they made it over to the British Isles, and they were the ferocious ancient Scots (known as Irish today), to whom St. Patrick brought the fulness of the Gospel (the Irish did save civilization, so a theory goes anyway), or those crazy Picts north of where Hadrian's wall would be built, whom the Romans didn't even try to conquer.

I know one thing, God works in mysterious ways, and if he could have picked up the plates from a hillside in Central America and transported them to the Hill Cumorah, he could have just as easily carried them across the Atlantic Ocean. My theory is as good as SWK's was, I know that.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 04:05 AM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I've been considering Adam's point about this revision to the Book of Mormon Introductoin, and what it means, exposing the fallibility of prophets, and I'm carrying Adam's point to its logical conclusion. How do we even know Lehi and family even came to the Americas? Because the Prophets, the Intoduction, and the footnotes have said so? Pffft. They have no credibility any more. I want to know where in the Book of Mormon it says the Lehis came to America. It doesn't. I think this is an open question now.

Here are some possibilities I've been considering. Maybe they landed on the south shore of Gaul, around present day Cannes, and migrated northward. Could the Lamanites be the European aborigines that Caesar found, the Celts? Maybe they made it over to the British Isles, and they were the ferocious ancient Scots (known as Irish today), to whom St. Patrick brought the fulness of the Gospel (the Irish did save civilization, so a theory goes anyway), or those crazy Picts north of where Hadrian's wall would be built, whom the Romans didn't even try to conquer.

I know one thing, God works in mysterious ways, and if he could have picked up the plates from a hillside in Central America and transported them to the Hill Cumorah, he could have just as easily carried them across the Atlantic Ocean. My theory is as good as SWK's was, I know that.
Well, I have to disagree in that SWK was a prophet of God and you're an admitted apostate.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 05:10 AM   #3
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:

You are trying to hard. Since when does a document have "no credibility" if it is changed at all? I doubt you really believe that, because if you did, there wouldn't be a single document in existence with any credibility. And the church has long taught that the prophets are fallible. This isn't news (other than to Tex).

But I am glad to see you accepting the general premise that the people of the Book of Mormon DID exist!
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 05:19 AM   #4
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
And the church has long taught that the prophets are fallible. This isn't news (other than to Tex).
It's such an ironic wonder to see truckloads of Mormons comforted by watching their leaders "fail." Such schadenfreud.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 01:04 PM   #5
Brian

Brian has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:

What if there was no Lehi? What if looking for Lehi is missing the mark?
Old 11-11-2007, 12:38 PM   #6
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
How I wish all the dross could be cut out and we could just focus on the core.
This is beyond ironic. All you guys seem hellbent on talking about nothing other than the dross. If you want your wish granted, start by setting the example.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote