cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2015, 07:52 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dallin H. Oaks

On his FB page.

Quote:
I recently spoke to single adults about the importance of dating activities that can lead to marriage, rather than simply “hanging out.” In the days after that talk, I heard from one woman who told how frustrating it can be to desire marriage, while the men around her are more inclined to just want to socialize. These words she shared struck me.

“I want you to know there are a lot of capable, beautiful LDS women for good men to choose from. There are a lot of capable, hard-working, and kind LDS men to do the choosing. But in my 10+ years of young single adult experience and the beginning of my mid-singles experience, there is still a lot of fear, doubt, and childishness which is manifested [by eligible men].

“I recently watched a version of Peter Pan where Wendy is asking Peter to enter a realm of adulthood through feeling love. Peter gets upset and resists by saying: 'I always want to be a little boy and to have fun!' And it’s true. I see that same sort of resistance from our men every day."

My single friends, from personal experience I promise you that the sweetness of marriage and family life is a wonderful gift that should be sought after and not delayed. I encourage you to prayerfully consider what you are doing to work toward this worthy goal.
Emphasis:

Quote:
There are a lot of capable, hard-working, and kind LDS men to do the choosing.
It's hard for any woman in 2015 to read this and not notice the sexism.

I'm not criticizing. I'm just saying it's more flack to go through.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 08:31 PM   #2
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

isn't it also sexist to present the problem of not enough LDS singles getting married as being almost entirely (or completely) the fault of the men? That seems sexist to me as well. Any active LDS guy over age 30 will tell you it's not just the fault of the men that dating past the mid 20s in our LDS culture can be pretty hard for both genders and not just for the women.

Last edited by BlueK; 03-06-2015 at 08:45 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 09:09 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
isn't it also sexist to present the problem of not enough LDS singles getting married as being almost entirely (or completely) the fault of the men? That seems sexist to me as well. Any active LDS guy over age 30 will tell you it's not just the fault of the men that dating past the mid 20s in our LDS culture can be pretty hard for both genders and not just for the women.
Goes without saying.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could just check them out, like at a meat market, go up to the counter and place our order.

I know that's now what he means. But in today's society, it's kind of a mutual thing. The women are not passive. And that's a good thing.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote