cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2015, 02:57 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The idea that Mormons are destined to be anti-gay pariahs

I've been hearing some conservative Mormons say this.

That we will have to stand against the "gay agenda" and thus be subject to much recrimination. But that's the price of standing with the Lord.

http://www.cougarboard.com/board/mes...ml?id=13944713

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...mination-accu/

Such a false choice. And a co-opting of social conservatism as gospel.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:24 PM   #2
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Completely idiotic.

They keep referring to SSA as a "tendency." A foot fetish is a "tendency."

I've been denied intimacy for a long time, but unlike gays, I've always had hope I would get it. No hope, and life is unbearable. I guess if you're a fat girl, you have no hope either.
ChinoCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 07:33 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

The very good article on bycommonconsent contains two very important parts:

Quote:
The church’s whole approach to homosexuality is in flux and it is understandable that the odd statement will be a little ragged. However, given that this is about the only thing the church seems willing to make a public stand on, it is only reasonable for members to expect the Public Affairs department to be very careful in what it says. Mormons around the world are affected by the church’s policy on gays given that it is rapidly becoming the hallmark of the modern LDS image. They deserve better than this half-baked lecture.
Quote:
8. Is there nothing other than homosexuality that exercises us? If there isn’t, it will be our doom.
Increasingly, when people think of "anti-gay church" who they think of?

Well, there is Westboro Baptist. Who else? Southern Baptists? Mormons? Certain, Catholics come in behind Mormons. Who else?

What is the advantage to the salvation of men that Mormonism be viewed as the TIP OF THE SPEAR of the anti-gay rights movement? If God wants this, what do we see about Westboro? That they have the right idea, but they go about it wrong? That their doctrines are on the right track, but they do have enough charity?

How awful could it be, for Mormons and Westboros to be lumped together?

Maybe I understand God so poorly that I am just 180 degrees in the wrong direction. Maybe I am blinded by Satan. Maybe gays are the great threat to the gospel. And I'll be saying in 15 years (if I am still living) "Wow, I can't believe that I was so deceived not to see gays and their rights movements as the work of evil and destruction that it is." I would have to say their fruits deceived me. All those good decent gays I knew, that were caring, served others, just wanting to live their lives like anyone else. They fooled me. They were evil.

Or perhaps this will not happen.

Do we really want to become "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Anti-Gay"?

Is this the defining moral issue of our time?

Frustration does not even begin to describe how I feel.

http://bycommonconsent.com/2015/07/2...they-get-back/
Old 07-29-2015, 08:53 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

typo city. sorry.