cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2015, 07:41 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Joykill Mormons

My wife tells me that the latest controversy on Mormon facebook is how irreverent the kids in primary are. Specifically the complaint is that kids across the church, when singing "Jesus Wants me for a Sunbeam" overemphasize the word "Sunbeam" such that it is funny and not reverent. "SUN-BEAM!"

I've noticed this trend in some of my local leaders. It has nothing to do with children singing, but has to do with people conversing prior to Sacrament meeting starting.

They say that conversation, laughter, friendship should not occur in the chapel. But once one is in the chapel, it is time for reverence, quiet, and reflection. If talking must occur, it should take place in the foyer. Sacrament meeting is a time for reflection on the Atonement. And that they are very concerned with how members don't seem to get this. They just seem to want to have a good time.

I think I've complained about this before.

Why must our church be so focused on grimness? Jesus died and took on every evil act that was ever committed. Yes. But does that mean we must sit there and take on the existential weight of Jesus experiencing every murder committed in time past and future? Whatever happened to the idea that the gospel is good news, and it's time for joy and praise and happiness. The debt has been paid!

Other faiths take this position. And there services reflect joy. Men are that they might have joy. Isn't that what we believe? We all the joykill Mormons?

Of course the path that people are prone to take is one of joy and happiness. They don't want to be grim and quiet. They want to renew friendships and take pleasure in fellowship. The kids want to sing loudly and have fun while doing it!

So Mormons need constant reminding. More grimness, less fun.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote