cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2015, 03:01 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default It always comes in 3s

Three apostolic openings before this GC. I read in the SLtrib that this is the first time in 100 years.

It's still not entirely clear to me how the process works in calling a new apostle.

Is it mainly the President who calls? The FP? Nominations from the Q12?

Obviously they are going to go with someone whom they trust who has shown his mettle and faithfulness over time. I'm not discounting revelation, after all, revelation is used to pick from among this pool.

Interesting reading Richard Scott's obit article on Sltrib...he was selected by ETB. Scott's father worked for ETB in Wash DC. So Scott was in the inner circle. Also Scott married Utah Senator's daughter. Scott came from outside the Utah sphere in the sense that he did not grow up in Utah/Idaho.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 03:51 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Let me make a prediction of who will become an apostle:

Robert Kimball of Dallas. Attorney. Former stake president. Cousin of Quentin L. Cook (Q12). Knows church history inside-out. Great speaker. I really liked him. So this is more like a finger-crossed hoping thing.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:19 PM   #3
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Let me make a prediction of who will become an apostle:

Robert Kimball of Dallas. Attorney. Former stake president. Cousin of Quentin L. Cook (Q12). Knows church history inside-out. Great speaker. I really liked him. So this is more like a finger-crossed hoping thing.
I also know him and agree he is a very impressive man. I'm sure he would be great if called. My wife and I met with him when we were about to get married because he was her stake president at the time. I was once also good friends years ago with his younger sister when we were in the same YSA ward in Provo and even met his parents. All of them are very good people, and genuinely nice and humble.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 02:06 AM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

The selection of these 3 will have a huge impact on the church.

I hesitate to say that the church is facing a crisis. That's too strong. But I think it's fair to say that there are some serious problems and we will see some changes in the next 20 years. The current program is not work well, IMO. What those changes will be--these next 3 will have a huge impact. How do they feel about women in the church? How do they feel about correlation of all things discussed in the church?
Old 09-25-2015, 12:59 AM   #5
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

http://m.deseretnews.com/article/865...der-Scott.html
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 02:57 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I'm glad that was addressed. There is obviously no good reason to keep it secret. So it's a decision essentially of the President. When the President is incapacitated due to health? Then what? The First Counselor I presume.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:53 PM   #7
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Good question. I suppose the last time this was an issue was in 1994, when President Benson called Elder Hales. It stands to reason that his counselors, Hinckley and Monson, recommended him.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote