cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2015, 12:03 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default President Monson's death (when it comes) will be the end of an era

It will be the end of the apostles of my childhood. I grew up in the era of SWK and ETB, neither of whom were particularly active or visible. So it was Monson and Hinckley that were at the forefront of church leadership.

I was an unabashed Monson fan. I loved his stories. I was bored by Hinckley.

It is with some irony that I find their positions as President reversed. Hinckley I like more as President. He was up-front and had the kind of charisma that allowed others to feel like he was close to them, even if they had never met.

I don't think we have had the same President Monson during these past several years as we had during my youth. And I don't fault him for that. I think it's likely due to health deterioration. The same twinkle he had is gone. Now it feels off, even if he's saying the same things, the same jokes.

I started GC a little late this morning, on DVR. So I noted on social media that something had happened during the talk. I didn't know what exactly, maybe that he had fallen.

There is a 21 year gap in ordination between Monson and the next apostle. That is huge. Monson was ordained by David O. McKay. That connection to the leaders of yesteryear will finally have come to an end. As it does with all eras as time passes.

When he passes, I will remember President Monson at his best. I only know these men through their public performances. I don't know what they are like off-stage. But those performances have been part of my life for a long time.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote