cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2008, 03:52 PM   #81
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
It isn't even basic given your argument of "tradition." The tradition of marriage is one totally different to the one recognized in the US today (as all Mormons should know). If tradition is the winning argument, polygamy will find a nice place in American society (as will harlots).
Most sane, clear-thinking people understand that the long paradigm of one-man, one-woman marriage has been the foundation of a successful family and a successful society for generations. People who demand empirical proof of this are like adolescents who insist their parents "don't understand" them.

The best arguments for homosexual marriage boil down to nothing more than a cross between "because I want to!" and "hey, why not?" Follow your own standard: there's no compelling empirical evidence that the success of homosexual marriages and/or families is more or even equal to that of traditional marriage. There are no societies built on the homosexual nuclear family.

Your position is the weak one, underscored by the fact that you have to resort to returning to slavery as an argument.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 04:02 PM   #82
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
In other words, you are incabable of defending the position on a secular basis. In that case, your position should fail.
In other words, the secular position exists in too much of a moral vacuum. You appear to be fine with moral vacuums. I'm not.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 04:08 PM   #83
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Most sane, clear-thinking people understand that the long paradigm of one-man, one-woman marriage has been the foundation of a successful family and a successful society for generations. People who demand empirical proof of this are like adolescents who insist their parents "don't understand" them.

The best arguments for homosexual marriage boil down to nothing more than a cross between "because I want to!" and "hey, why not?" Follow your own standard: there's no compelling empirical evidence that the success of homosexual marriages and/or families is more or even equal to that of traditional marriage. There are no societies built on the homosexual nuclear family.

Your position is the weak one, underscored by the fact that you have to resort to returning to slavery as an argument.
Generations? Your argument was to a 6,000 year history. It seems your version of tradition is getting smaller and smaller until it fits within the context of one man/one woman. It isn't even a tradition in your own church for lots of generations.

If marriage is a right, then the burden of proof is on those who would argue it shouldn't be extended to a class, not vice-versa. And my retort of "slavery" is (I would think obviously) designed to show the flaws of an argument based on "tradition." Give up, Tex. Your arguments already have, now just your will needs to follow.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 04:11 PM   #84
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Could a gay man, who is married to another gay man, but separated for many years, who has renounced gay sex and is celebate--could this man be baptized? Or would divorce be a pre-condition to baptism?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 04:15 PM   #85
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Could a gay man, who is married to another gay man, but separated for many years, who has renounced gay sex and is celebate--could this man be baptized? Or would divorce be a pre-condition to baptism?
I would have to think divorce would be a pre-requisite.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:16 PM   #86
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
I would have to think divorce would be a pre-requisite.
Ok, what if the marriage never came up, and a guy in this situation was baptized. Then it comes up later. Is the gay partner put into the MLS database?
Old 05-19-2008, 04:17 PM   #87
Indy Coug

Quote:
Ok, what if the marriage never came up, and a guy in this situation was baptized. Then it comes up later. Is the gay partner put into the MLS database?
Instead of beating around the bush, do you know of a specific actual situation like this?
Old 05-19-2008, 04:19 PM   #88
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Instead of beating around the bush, do you know of a specific actual situation like this?
Isn't gay marriage just occurring in Mass? So no, I don't know of a situation because gay marriage is such a new thing.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:22 PM   #89
Indy Coug

Quote:
Isn't gay marriage just occurring in Mass? So no, I don't know of a situation because gay marriage is such a new thing.
I can't imagine for the life of me what would get the separated partner (who in all likelihood isn't living in the same household) put into MLS. Odds are that someone who didn't reveal this relationship up front would have some measure of disciplinary action taken against them which would include at the bare minimum a legal dissolution of the relationship.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:27 PM   #90
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
I can't imagine for the life of me what would get the separated partner (who in all likelihood isn't living in the same household) put into MLS. Odds are that someone who didn't reveal this relationship up front would have some measure of disciplinary action taken against them which would include at the bare minimum a legal dissolution of the relationship.
Isn't whether you've ever had gay sex part of the mission interview process? If the answer is yes, it gets kicked up to the Mission President or some other higher authority.

I knew of two cases on my mission where men who had had gay sex were baptized after this process.