cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2008, 05:18 PM   #1
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default It appears that Rocky's hyping of Michael Alisa

might have been warranted. The freshman playing MLB are there because there is nobody else, but I think Alisa is going to bump Masi Tuitama not because Masi sucks but because Alisa is a player.

Is Alisa planning to serve a mission?

I also read that Baumen put on 10 lbs over the summer. That is good, a middle LB needs more ass than 225 lbs.

I read the hype on Teo. The BYU media machine impresses me. LOL! Try as hard as we may the kid is gonna be a Trojan. I doubt a true freshman plays safety in BYU's 3-4. It requires too much experience and knowledge of the defensive responsibilities. Saying that Teo sounds like an asskicker and the type of safety Jaimie Hill lusts for.

Unfortunate about Fui, but when a kid has a history of injuries like Fui one is always waiting for the other shoe to drop. Unga's health is important this year and I hope some of the youngsters step up for fullback. I am not expecting much from Fui.

I also really hope Austin can back to 100% by the middle of September.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:27 PM   #2
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
Unfortunate about Fui, but when a kid has a history of injuries like Fui one is always waiting for the other shoe to drop. Unga's health is important this year and I hope some of the youngsters step up for fullback. I am not expecting much from Fui.
That blows. I feel bad for the guy. He was a blast to watch a couple of years ago. You can also add Tom Sorenson to the list of talented players who are perpetually injured.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 06:34 PM   #3
SipiTau

SipiTau is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I doubt a true freshman plays safety in BYU's 3-4. It requires too much experience and knowledge of the defensive responsibilities. Saying that Teo sounds like an asskicker and the type of safety Jaimie Hill lusts for.
Aren't BYU's safeties in Cover 2 most of the time? I say give the kid a shot; throw him into the deep end of the pool, let him get some OJT. If your other safety is sound, let him direct the show and free up Te'o to make plays.

Two years ago, SC's starting safety went down in the first game, they threw a freshman (Taylor Mays) to the wolves and he's now a 3 year starter.....Would Hill & Bronco take that chance?

Last edited by SipiTau; 08-05-2008 at 06:34 PM. Reason: spelling
SipiTau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 06:40 PM   #4
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
might have been warranted. The freshman playing MLB are there because there is nobody else, but I think Alisa is going to bump Masi Tuitama not because Masi sucks but because Alisa is a player.

Is Alisa planning to serve a mission?

I also read that Baumen put on 10 lbs over the summer. That is good, a middle LB needs more ass than 225 lbs.

I read the hype on Teo. The BYU media machine impresses me. LOL! Try as hard as we may the kid is gonna be a Trojan. I doubt a true freshman plays safety in BYU's 3-4. It requires too much experience and knowledge of the defensive responsibilities. Saying that Teo sounds like an asskicker and the type of safety Jaimie Hill lusts for.

I also really hope Austin can back to 100% by the middle of September.
What did I miss? Are you talking about Shilo Teo maybe being a Trojan? How would that work? Or are you talking about Manti (which is a real possibility)?

I think Shilo is here to stay, at least I hope so.

Also, what's up with Fui? I hadn't heard anything other than he was looking like a beast. Is his ankle still acting up? If so, that would be very sad indeed. I am hoping he can have a great year.

That is very bad about Sorenson. Fortunately we are loaded on the O-line, but the center is the most important (and difficult) position to play on the O-line. I heard Sorenson was 2nd unit in the spring, so maybe there isn't a huge amount of difference between him and his backup now, but I worry about whether or not BYU has another guy to plug in if there is another injury at the center position.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 06:45 PM   #5
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
What did I miss? Are you talking about Shilo Teo maybe being a Trojan? How would that work? Or are you talking about Manti (which is a real possibility)?

I think Shilo is here to stay, at least I hope so.
It's Goatnapper's conspiracy theory that all the hyping of Shilaoh Te'o by TBS is merely an underhanded attempt to lure Manti Te'o to BYU.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 06:49 PM   #6
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
It's Goatnapper's conspiracy theory that all the hyping of Shilaoh Te'o by TBS is merely an underhanded attempt to lure Manti Te'o to BYU.
I think Shilaoh (is that how you spell it?) looks legit. From what I have heard (which would be less than Goat has heard), the guy has great closing speed, hits hard, stays in good position and has great footwork. If so, I say we got ourselves a keeper.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 07:23 PM   #7
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Not underhanded one bit. I think BYU and its minions should do all they can to get Manti to the BYU. Perhaps you and I define underhanded differently. I think this is wise use of leverages to make a sell. Heathen and gentile institutions use gaudy cleavage (I'm talking to you SipiTau and my favorite fellow In Vitro participant) and tight gluteus maxs to make the sell....those are not available at the BYU. Our Scando chicks rarely move beyond training bras, but what angles we have I say shake it like a polaroid picture!

Yes, I think BYU wants to see Shiloah succeed as a true freshman and while Mendenhall is a no-nonsense fellow allow me to say that I am prone to believe he might accept some risk putting Shiloah out on the field that he might not be inclined to accept with other freshman because there might be some collateral benefit.

Before Indy goes too moral on me, I was and will continue to be a much more unabashed supporter of Mendenhall. I was on the bandwagon long before he was with this fellow save he wanted Mendenhall more than Whittingham so I give him props there.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:26 PM   #8
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I think Shilaoh (is that how you spell it?) looks legit. From what I have heard (which would be less than Goat has heard), the guy has great closing speed, hits hard, stays in good position and has great footwork. If so, I say we got ourselves a keeper.
I think the kid is going to be a star for BYU before he is done. However, I think that safety in BYU's 3-4 is a very hard position to learn, perhaps the hardest on the defense. It demands a player that understands the other defender's individual responsibilities. It is similar to being the QB on offense. I am skeptical Shiloah will be able to master the mental side adequately in fall camp. I do think part of the hype sent in his direction is motivated to whet the appetite of yet another Teo.

I could live with Teo becoming the first family of BYU football.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:32 PM   #9
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Originally Posted by SipiTau View Post
Aren't BYU's safeties in Cover 2 most of the time? I say give the kid a shot; throw him into the deep end of the pool, let him get some OJT. If your other safety is sound, let him direct the show and free up Te'o to make plays.

Two years ago, SC's starting safety went down in the first game, they threw a freshman (Taylor Mays) to the wolves and he's now a 3 year starter.....Would Hill & Bronco take that chance?
I think the majority of the responsibility for getting the other defenders into the right positions falls upon the shoulders of the free safety. I believe that is the position Shiloah is playing. The starter, Kellen Fowler, is heading to an Ivy League Law School as soon as the semester ends. In other words if he participated on this venue Mike Waters would drop to double digits as far as smart ratings go. Kellen is not the athlete or football player Shiloah is or will become, but he is experienced and knows where everyone should be all the time. My guess is Shiloah will see spot duty and special teams play and if we are wise, which we are, he will be the most overhyped spot duty and special teams player since my boy Derik "bang-bang" Stevenson former AP of the England Birmingham Mission was the Kamikazee Cougar.

I think Bronco would throw a safety to the wolves only if he had to. I am not sure Shiloah, while enormously talented for BYU, has the athleticism of the kids SC can recruit and throw to the wolves. World class athleticism can make up for a lack of experience. One kid I think will demonstrate that this year will be BYU's WOLB Vic So'oto. But Vic is an athletic freak - especially for the BYU.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:46 PM   #10
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Not underhanded one bit. I think BYU and its minions should do all they can to get Manti to the BYU. Perhaps you and I define underhanded differently. I think this is wise use of leverages to make a sell. Heathen and gentile institutions use gaudy cleavage (I'm talking to you SipiTau and my favorite fellow In Vitro participant) and tight gluteus maxs to make the sell....those are not available at the BYU. Our Scando chicks rarely move beyond training bras, but what angles we have I say shake it like a polaroid picture!

Yes, I think BYU wants to see Shiloah succeed as a true freshman and while Mendenhall is a no-nonsense fellow allow me to say that I am prone to believe he might accept some risk putting Shiloah out on the field that he might not be inclined to accept with other freshman because there might be some collateral benefit.

Before Indy goes too moral on me, I was and will continue to be a much more unabashed supporter of Mendenhall. I was on the bandwagon long before he was with this fellow save he wanted Mendenhall more than Whittingham so I give him props there.
Being on the Mendenhall bandwagon circa December 2004 was like choosing Curtain Number 3. Thank God, the tiger wasn't behind that one.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote