cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2008, 08:34 PM   #21
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
SU is right in the sense that the Catholic Church, in modern times, has an extensive history of weighing in on the important moral issues of the time, in a way that it is not easily pigeon-holed as conservative or liberal. It comes from an authentic place.

The LDS church has no such history.
Except for the whole pedophilia thing, which they only recently decided to begrudgingly address, and that after a series of lawsuits.

The Catholic church still currently shifts pedophiles from congregation to congregation as opposed to turning them over to the law. Sometimes they move them abroad, where they cannot be touched by domestic laws.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 08:36 PM   #22
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Golly, did I miss something? I thought potential loss of tax exempt status was one of the lies purveyed by Mormon supporters of Prop. 8. Is there a real potential loss of tax exempt status?
Golly did I ever claim this? Golly, did Waters ever claim it? Gosh darn it, you mean sometimes people on the same side of an issue as you might use an argumenbt you don't accept? It's possible, dang it.

Moreover, that was not their argiument, but the nuance would be lost on you in any event.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:52 PM   #23
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Except for the whole pedophilia thing, which they only recently decided to begrudgingly address, and that after a series of lawsuits.

The Catholic church still currently shifts pedophiles from congregation to congregation as opposed to turning them over to the law. Sometimes they move them abroad, where they cannot be touched by domestic laws.
You are making an apples to crab apples comparison and you know it. Certainly, whatever you can condemn about the LDS Church, you can dondemn the Catholic Church for to a greater degree. It has far more blood on its hands, way more sexual chicanery, a lot more anti-inellecutalism, than the Mormon Church. But the Catholic Church, being the behemouth of ancient origin that it is, can equally be praised for being the very transmitter and in some sense source of the very values that lead people to condemn it, as well as cherished cultural masterpieces. It's sort of like comparing the bad things the United States has done to the bad things some central Asian state has done.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 09:14 PM   #24
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
You are making an apples to crab apples comparison and you know it. Certainly, whatever you can condemn about the LDS Church, you can dondemn the Catholic Church for to a greater degree. It has far more blood on its hands, way more sexual chicanery, a lot more anti-inellecutalism, than the Mormon Church. But the Catholic Church, being the behemouth of ancient origin that it is, can equally be praised for being the very transmitter and in some sense source of the very values that lead people to condemn it, as well as cherished cultural masterpieces. It's sort of like comparing the bad things the United States has done to the bad things some central Asian state has done.
I do not deny Catholocism's contributions (albeit sometimes backhanded they may be) to art, culture, science, etc. of course not. But are you suggesting that because Catholicism inspired great art and sculpture 500 years ago that it should be given a pass on the gay marriage debate today? Or it's abysmal reaction to the child molestation scandals of the past decade?

Reporter: Cardinal Law...why didnt the Church do anything to stop known predators from working closely with children?
Law: I didnt come here to talk about that today. Instead, why don't we look at this facsimile of The Adoration of the Magi?
Reporter: cool!

Also, speaking of comparing apples to crab apples....the LDS Church has been around for 150 years. Why not give it a few centuries and check back in to see what has happened.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote