cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2008, 11:17 PM   #1
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Chris Mathews puts Romney #3

on his Hardball power ranking to become POTUS.

#1 - Clinton
#2 - McCain
#3 - Romney
#4 - Obama
#5 - Rudy

Mitt's at #3 by virtue of Mathews thinking Hillary has the Dem nomination wrapped up. Finally some notice of his position. Nonetheless, it seemed like Andrea Mitchell had the hardest time saying anything positive about Mitt. Everything hinges on Florida of course.

Incidently, a new poll of public perception of media reliability gave NBC a 6% rating. Fox scored best at 26%.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 12:48 AM   #2
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

No way will Hillary be that high in the next couple of weeks. Bill's act is wearing thin and Obama is kicking the crap out of her.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 01:22 AM   #3
myboynoah

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
No way will Hillary be that high in the next couple of weeks. Bill's act is wearing thin and Obama is kicking the crap out of her.
I don't follow the Dems that closely, but everyone makes it seem like S. Carolina will be Obama's high water mark, his Gettysburg so to speak. They speak of the "Clinton Machine" in the Super Tuesday states that will overwhelm the junior senator from Illinois. Game, set, match. Is this true?

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:01 AM   #4
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
I don't follow the Dems that closely, but everyone makes it seem like S. Carolina will be Obama's high water mark, his Gettysburg so to speak. They speak of the "Clinton Machine" in the Super Tuesday states that will overwhelm the junior senator from Illinois. Game, set, match. Is this true?
First, you have to remember the Superdelegates, which are not appointed by any states. They are part of the Democratic establishment, and Clinton has 175 pledged to her. This gives her a significant head-start, which may not be reflected in many of the charts you see, which show Obama with a 38-36 lead.

Second, there has been a significant change in the discourse among the Democrats over the last two weeks. Up until this point, they have played nice. All in the family. Us against the GOP. But no more. Things have gotten real ugly real fast. This hurts Obama more than Hillary. While no one likes Hillary (exit polls show that even the people that vote for her don't like her), personality/trust/charisma is a huge component of Obama's campaign. If the discourse gets ugly and personal - and it has - it will hurt Obama more than Hillary. He has pledged to transcend traditional politics. If he fails, whether he "started it" or not, it's pretty much the end of the line for the hope express.

Three, there are reports that the Clintons are doing far more than anyone expected to secure the vote. There are allegations of underhanded and intimidating tactics already being used in some of the early states. It's also clear that she's trying to make race a factor. I think we had all heard that it's just not possible to take down the Clinton machine. I'm just not sure we realized what that means. It is entirely possible that this is a do-what-it-takes-to-win effort, and that those behind the effort truly have the power to get it done.

Last edited by BarbaraGordon; 01-22-2008 at 02:16 AM. Reason: because I wanted to, dammit
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 02:20 AM   #5
myboynoah

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
First, you have to remember the Superdelegates, which are not appointed by any states. They are part of the Democratic establishment, and Clinton has 175 pledged to her. This gives her a significant head-start, which may not be reflected in many of the charts you see, which show Obama with a 38-36 lead.

Second, there has been a significant change in the discourse among the Democrats over the last two weeks. Up until this point, they have played nice. All in the family. Us against the GOP. But no more. Things have gotten real ugly real fast. This hurts Obama more than Hillary. While no one likes Hillary (exit polls show that even the people that vote for her don't like her), personality/trust/charisma is a huge component of Obama's campaign. If the discourse gets ugly and personal - and it has - it will hurt Obama more than Hillary. He has pledged to transcend traditional politics. If he fails, whether he "started it" or not, it's pretty much curtains for the hope express.

Three, there are reports that the Clintons are doing far more than anyone expected to secure the vote. There are allegations of underhanded and intimidating tactics already being used in some of the early states. It's also clear that she's trying to make race a factor. I think we had all heard that it's just not possible to take down the Clinton machine. I'm just not sure we realized what that means. It is entirely possible that this is a do-what-it-takes-to-win effort, and that those behind the effort truly have the power to get it done.
Did you watch the debate tonight? I'm watching the outtakes and wow, just wow. They do not like each other.

I wonder if all politics are local, and that Iowa, New Hampshire, Nevada, and S. Carolina are not good bellweathers of what the nations is thinking. Polls in Florida, California, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey have Clinton way ahead. Is all that the Clinton Machine, or is that people who prefer her to him, for whatever reason?

I wish this could go on for some time. The fireworks are great and makes a nice backdrop as the Repubs dilly around.