cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2008, 03:57 PM   #11
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
Thank you.

Where is Wayne Owens these days?
Died of a heart attack on a trip to Israel.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 04:03 PM   #12
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Died of a heart attack on a trip to Israel.
Sad. I remember him speaking at BYU and using the BofM to make the case for the Dem Party. Kind of a Quixotic figure. I was humming The Impossible Dream as I left the hall.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 05:32 PM   #13
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

I'm curious. For those of you Romney supporters, does it bother you that he evades the questions on how much of his personal wealth he's investing in the campaign? Many voters have concerns about the notion that a candidate could effectively buy the presidency. (Which is not to imply that it hasn't been attempted before.)

My favorite line of the debate was from Huckabee:
"Just because we didn't find the WMD doesn't mean they weren't there."

brilliant.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 05:46 PM   #14
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
I'm curious. For those of you Romney supporters, does it bother you that he evades the questions on how much of his personal wealth he's investing in the campaign? Many voters have concerns about the notion that a candidate could effectively buy the presidency. (Which is not to imply that it hasn't been attempted before.)
No. Should it bother us?
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 05:50 PM   #15
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:

brilliant.
Yes it bothers me. It also bothers me when politicians take money and end up owing favors. Everything about politics bothers me. I'm for Romney because he's Mormon, and I like seeing a Mormon in the spotlight. I'm willing to admit it.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 05:51 PM   #16
myboynoah

Quote:

brilliant.
Good question, but I suspect most people don't mind that someone uses his/her own money to finance a campaign. Otherwise, from whence will the money come? Private funds that have ties to the donations? Or worse, public funds?

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:06 PM   #17
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I think Barbara's entire perspective on this election is colored by her loathing for Huckabee. I almost sense she come to hate McCain becasue she thinks Huckabee's campaign has benefited him.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 06:06 PM   #18
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
No. Should it bother us?
I can't answer that. But it always bothers me when my candidate/s fail/s to answer a tough question effectively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
Good question, but I suspect most people don't mind that someone uses his/her own money to finance a campaign.
I don't know. Exit polls in NH had voters overwhelmingly (nearly 3x as many listed Mitt as listed the next highest candidate) choosing Mitt as the one running an "unfair" campaign. I had assumed that response was tied to his ability to buy as much exposure as he wants to get the win. I'll be interested to see the spending breakdown in Florida.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 06:14 PM   #19
myboynoah

Quote:
I don't know. Exit polls in NH had voters overwhelmingly (nearly 3x as many listed Mitt as listed the next highest candidate) choosing Mitt as the one running an "unfair" campaign. I had assumed that response was tied to his ability to buy as much exposure as he wants to get the win. I'll be interested to see the spending breakdown in Florida.
I thought that had more to do with the effectiveness of McCain and Huckabee in portraying Mitt's "comparison" ads as dirty tactics.

McCain and Huckabee irritate me on this funding point. They're very jealous communists. Amazing, we Americans hating people because they are successful.

Hard Ball mentioned the question about Mitt's money and came to the conclusion that while it bothers the competitors and some press, most people really don't care and might actually prefer it since it is clean, private money.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:17 PM   #20
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:

brilliant.
Money has ruined politics, but it has always been there. I hate the thought of only rich men being able to win the presidency, but then again, do I want a poor man like Bill Clinton who will take money from anyone (ChiComs) and be more than happy to repay?

It's just an ugly business. The only thing I can do is try to take money out of the equation as best I can and look at the candidates character and positions on the issues. To me, Mitt seems the beest of the remaining field. And yes, the thought of a Mormon president has me pretty excited. We're tired of only controlling one measly little state.