cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2006, 03:00 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What is it like to be LDS and hate BYU?

My wife told me about a Ute family in our ward...

They have the same kid that is about 4 and was mouthing off about how the great the Utes are. Well, his primary teacher is a BYU fan, and after this kid drew a picture of the Utes, the teacher teased him about not being a BYU fan. He told the kid that "you know, the church owns BYU."

So the kid comes home and says "How come we hate BYU and it is owned by the church?"

This was relaed to Farrah in the mother's lounge.

Man it would be awful paying tithing knowing that it goes to BYU, if I hated BYU with "every fiber of my being."
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 03:04 PM   #2
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
My wife told me about a Ute family in our ward...

They have the same kid that is about 4 and was mouthing off about how the great the Utes are. Well, his primary teacher is a BYU fan, and after this kid drew a picture of the Utes, the teacher teased him about not being a BYU fan. He told the kid that "you know, the church owns BYU."

So the kid comes home and says "How come we hate BYU and it is owned by the church?"

This was relaed to Farrah in the mother's lounge.

Man it would be awful paying tithing knowing that it goes to BYU, if I hated BYU with "every fiber of my being."
That's sad. An adult can handle (or attempt to handle) that kind of inner conflict that comes with hating the school your church owns, but it almost seems child abuse to inflict it on a kid.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 03:07 PM   #3
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Frankly, it's quite reasonable. I agree, though, that it may not be appropriate to push that kind of a conflict on a kid.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:17 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

One of the HPs in my ward came up to me before Priesthood started, and said "wasn't it a great game" etc.

Then I said as Br. So-and-so if he liked the game, me knowing that he was a Ute fan (Father of the kid I was talking about). Well this HP had no idea he was being setup.

"Great game, huh?"
"Pathetic game."

I ran into the HP later and he said that Br. So-and-so went off, talking about BYU is populated by a bunch of "hypocrites". Some real venom.

I got a good laugh.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:25 PM   #5
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I ran into the HP later and he said that Br. So-and-so went off, talking about BYU is populated by a bunch of "hypocrites". Some real venom.

I got a good laugh.
LOL.

The best thing is that those types are doing exactly the type of thing that they accuse BYU "hypocrites" of doing. Some people just can't see outside themselves.

I set my non-Utahn newly-LDS wife up the same way. She kept asking why my LDS "anybody but BYU" brother-in-law hated BYU. I suggested she ask him herself.

Wow. A lot of BYU-hate out there in Mormon-dumb.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 03:26 PM   #6
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

It would also be awful to know that every purchase I ever made in Utah would have some small percentage going to the Utah (especially if I lived there while going to school)
Old 11-27-2006, 03:27 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

For the record, I don't think tithing should be used to subsidize BYU, but that doesn't translate to me hating BYU.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:44 PM   #8
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
Frankly, it's quite reasonable. I agree, though, that it may not be appropriate to push that kind of a conflict on a kid.
I have realized over time that all of the things I used to "hate" about BYU are really things that are just distasteful about LDS culture at times. I've also realized that I don't "hate" these things but rather just find them annoying.

I have also observed that it is very difficult for anyone, let alone a kid, to totally seperate BYU from the church. I can do it because I have thought a lot about it, but it is a thorny issue for me even so. But particularly with respect to kids, and this is anecdotal, there was a family in my ward growing up who was remarkably hostile toward BYU, not because they were Utes, but because of their experiences there (they both were graduates) and other reasons like tithing, etc. Anyway, all of the kids grew up with some hostility towards the church, notwithstanding that they were required to go to early morning seminary, Sunday meetings etc.

There were four of them and I am only aware of one who is active. There maybe a second, not sure. But in any case, and I have had this conversation with the mom, she really feels like she did her kids a disservice there and regrets her hostility to BYU particularly. I think she is right, it was a mistake.

Hating BYU is sort of like hating the scouting program or mutual or enrichment night. You may develop good reasons for it, but in the end it is not the church itself nor certainly the gospel. It is simpy a vehicle that the church is using to try to accomplish something. It takes a very sharp blade indeed to slice between the church and its leaders and the programs they enact. Great care has to be used and kids just can't do it.

My kids will grow up learning that we root for BYU and Utah, but when they play each other we root for Utah because that is where mom and dad met and where dad got his degree. They will never hear a hostile word about BYU from me, it just isn't worth the risk.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:49 PM   #9
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
I have realized over time that all of the things I used to "hate" about BYU are really things that are just distasteful about LDS culture at times. I've also realized that I don't "hate" these things but rather just find them annoying.

I have also observed that it is very difficult for anyone, let alone a kid, to totally seperate BYU from the church. I can do it because I have thought a lot about it, but it is a thorny issue for me even so. But particularly with respect to kids, and this is anecdotal, there was a family in my ward growing up who was remarkably hostile toward BYU, not because they were Utes, but because of their experiences there (they both were graduates) and other reasons like tithing, etc. Anyway, all of the kids grew up with some hostility towards the church, notwithstanding that they were required to go to early morning seminary, Sunday meetings etc.

There were four of them and I am only aware of one who is active. There maybe a second, not sure. But in any case, and I have had this conversation with the mom, she really feels like she did her kids a disservice there and regrets her hostility to BYU particularly. I think she is right, it was a mistake.

Hating BYU is sort of like hating the scouting program or mutual or enrichment night. You may develop good reasons for it, but in the end it is not the church itself nor certainly the gospel. It is simpy a vehicle that the church is using to try to accomplish something. It takes a very sharp blade indeed to slice between the church and its leaders and the programs they enact. Great care has to be used and kids just can't do it.

My kids will grow up learning that we root for BYU and Utah, but when they play each other we root for Utah because that is where mom and dad met and where dad got his degree. They will never hear a hostile word about BYU from me, it just isn't worth the risk.

Good post. Some of the Ute fans I know personally share that maturity, but most I see posting on the internet don't.

I hate the scouting program. Well hate's an awfully strong word. But I'm not big on scouts. But I will do my best not to taint my sons on that, and I will encourage them to succeed in scouts and help them best I can.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 03:54 PM   #10
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
One of the HPs in my ward came up to me before Priesthood started, and said "wasn't it a great game" etc.

Then I said as Br. So-and-so if he liked the game, me knowing that he was a Ute fan (Father of the kid I was talking about). Well this HP had no idea he was being setup.

"Great game, huh?"
"Pathetic game."

I got a good laugh.
I don't think the church is a good place to needle people about the rivalry if you don't know how they will react and maybe even if you think you do. This guy didn't form that opinion based solely on that exchange.

Lots of people are thin skinned about lots of things; I just don't think church is the place to probe their sensativities on any issue if you can help it. Not sure why you think the conflict you orchestrated there is funny.